GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FYI: OEM Batteries Suck

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
Old thread but I have to add bought my car in November of 2006 and the original battery just gave up two days ago and 110k miles later. More than pleased with the life of the oem battery.

Zach L

VR junkie
Long trips is the key to long battery life.

Texas heat and I still have my original at 6+ years and 128,000 miles. I park in the sun while at work and outside when at home. Last summer was the hottest ever on record in TX.

I think the real determinant of battery life is the average time spent driving each trip. Mine probably has lasted so long because most my trips are usually 30+ minutes, and the periodic 3+ hour trip is very common. This weekend I did a roundtrip that was 4 hours each way. Long trips are better for batteries.

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
My OEM battery lasted about 3.5 years before it crapped out (I live in Phoenix metro like the OP). Replaced mine with an Interstate and no issues so far. Only 1.5 years on this battery though.

The only crappy part is that I had to remove the cloth heat shield because the Interstate battery wasn't as tall and there would have been no way to route the battery cables to the terminals without cutting slits in it.

I've learned to accept that hot weather is rough on batteries - I've never had a battery last more than 3-4 years on any car here.

Micky 32

Ready to race!
My OEM is 4 years and 6 months old with 127k. Still starts the car perfect but have noticed the last few days a couple of times the electric windows/mirror switch lighting goes off for a few seconds after starting up. When this happens does it mean it will fail to start soon?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Could be. Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals, check the voltage, crank the car, check the lowest voltage while cranking, then check the voltage when the car starts and after it's running for 5 minutes. Write down all of the readings and post here.

Micky 32

Ready to race!
Could be. Put a voltmeter across the battery terminals, check the voltage, crank the car, check the lowest voltage while cranking, then check the voltage when the car starts and after it's running for 5 minutes. Write down all of the readings and post here.

I always though the voltage on my battery was a bit low, compared to the Passat battery anyway. If i read the voltage after sitting overnight and with the interior light on it reads approx 11.8-11.9. when the light fades out it reads anything between 12 -12.1. After driving it reads between 12.25-12.35 ish on average. The Passat voltage is never that low. I don't like the SG readings on the 2 end cells they only read 1225, i believe they should read 1265?

Micky 32

Ready to race!
I put the voltmeter on the battery this morning engine cold with ambient temperature at 12 degrees celsius.

Cranked the engine and for a split second as soon as the key turned voltage read 8.9 volts and rose to 14.4v when it started. Drove for 25 miles and after 20 mind started it with a volt reading of 9.3v as soon as key turned. This sound about right?

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
Started having trouble as the temperature dropped here. Ordered a new VW battery from a local dealer $104 delivered. Starts better than ever now. I didn't realize these needed to be topped off on occasion so I'm guessing that brought about it's early demise. 3 years 49k.

Micky 32

Ready to race!
Was it low on water? My 128k 4 and 6 month battery never had the slightest water loss.