GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Everyone's insurances

utekineir

Banned
30, single, 4 cars, increased liabilities. $800 ish per 6 mo. Would be less if I still had safe driver, old lady rear ended me at a stop couple years back.

Al..

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mkv Gti
€1000 for 24 yrs old, 6 years no claims, 4 penalty points on licence and gti fully comp.

It might end up going UP at renewal because of the fuk up that happened with the largest insurance company here in Ireland and we are getting stuck with the bill!!

defense05

Ready to race!
$233 a month for me with Progressive. I have one speeding ticket (which the cop turned into a disobey a traffic control device or something) and some lady hit my car in a parking lot. It actually went up $10 from the previous 6 months.

I shopped around and everything was around the same price... I'm also 21.

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
Ya everyone and their mom tells me it is because of my age. It pisses me off cause I've been on my own insurance since I was 16 and it has literally been flawless, but zero reward at the end of the day.

You can whine about it all you want, but the fact remains that the 16-24 age group is a high financial risk for any insurance company. It sucks to be penalized for being in that demographic, but an insurance company at the end of the day doesn't really care. Add that to the fact that the GTI isn't exactly a family car, it's going to be more expensive to insure, than say a boring Taurus or Camry.

It just kind of boggles my mind when younger drivers buy sporty cars and then complain about the insurance. Either deal with it or drive something with a lower cost of ownership. Cost of ownership (and yes, this includes insurance) should always be a factor when buying a car.

When I was your age, I was paying $250/month (close to $350 today, adjusting for inflation) to insure a barebones '97 Golf with a turd of an engine and power NOTHING. I just sucked it up and paid for it. It was what it was. You may try to shop around with other companies to see if you can get a cheaper rate with the same level of coverage you already have. But again because of your age group, there's probably not going to be a lot of difference. Doesn't hurt to look though...

My insurance went down significantly when I turned 25. I'm now paying $105/month for full coverage ($500 deductible) through Progressive on my 2007 GTI 2-door at 31 years old. That would seem expensive to some, but I also live in a big city that's known for car theft (Phoenix). Just as a comparison, I was paying about 50% more than that when I was still living in LA.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If you can get a credit card at 19, even if you need to put money in a locked up Cd, DO IT! You put, say $1000 in a CD at a bank, and they give you a credit card with $1000 credit line. You cannot touch the CD. It's collateral in case you fuk up and don't pay your bill on time.

You then charge whatever you need to. You make sure you pay the bill before it's due - best to pay it as soon as you can, right after the "statement closing date". They will tell you when that is every month. It can vary by a day or so. You then pay off the "statement balance" in full, to avoid interest charges. This way, you'll build up credit.

Many insurance companies take into consideration your credit score when you apply for insurance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FICO_score#FICO_score And you can request they run your score every year, if you think it significantly improved. Look on the web for articles how to improve your credit. And NEVER pay a bill late.

BaBeL

Ready to race!
Call your insurance company and ask about the 5 hour online defensive driver class. It costs about 50 bucks but will save you 10% on your comprehensive portion of your insurance. It pays for itself in 1 year and is good for 3 years.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Call your insurance company and ask about the 5 hour online defensive driver class. It costs about 50 bucks but will save you 10% on your comprehensive portion of your insurance. It pays for itself in 1 year and is good for 3 years.

For a 19-year-old? I thought you needed to be over 50. And I looked into it for myself. For me, the 3-year discount was less than the cost for the AARP course.

BaBeL

Ready to race!
I did my first one at 17 with drivers ed and renewed it every time it expired since then (I'm 39 now)

DJ Spice

Ready to race!
Car(s)
My Fast
30, married, full coverage, $500 deductible = $468 every 6 months.

Sent from my MKV GTi using Tapatalk 2

tylerandreas

Banned
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
You can whine about it all you want, but the fact remains that the 16-24 age group is a high financial risk for any insurance company. It sucks to be penalized for being in that demographic, but an insurance company at the end of the day doesn't really care. Add that to the fact that the GTI isn't exactly a family car, it's going to be more expensive to insure, than say a boring Taurus or Camry.

It just kind of boggles my mind when younger drivers buy sporty cars and then complain about the insurance. Either deal with it or drive something with a lower cost of ownership. Cost of ownership (and yes, this includes insurance) should always be a factor when buying a car.

When I was your age, I was paying $250/month (close to $350 today, adjusting for inflation) to insure a barebones '97 Golf with a turd of an engine and power NOTHING. I just sucked it up and paid for it. It was what it was. You may try to shop around with other companies to see if you can get a cheaper rate with the same level of coverage you already have. But again because of your age group, there's probably not going to be a lot of difference. Doesn't hurt to look though...

My insurance went down significantly when I turned 25. I'm now paying $105/month for full coverage ($500 deductible) through Progressive on my 2007 GTI 2-door at 31 years old. That would seem expensive to some, but I also live in a big city that's known for car theft (Phoenix). Just as a comparison, I was paying about 50% more than that when I was still living in LA.
You gotta be that guy on this thread, huh? And I was just curious if I was getting screwed on my insurance or not. Not the fact that I bought a sports car and "whine" because I didn't take insurance into consideration. I'm not the average immature 19 year. Of course I looked into it, but 430 bucks a month? Come on, that is high for anyone. Obviously read the thread. And I did do some digging, thanks to this thread actually I probably just saved at least 180 bucks a month.