GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW MKV Gti RNS510 Sat Nav

shyam001

Hello all,
I have just registered to this forum, so please bare with me as i am new to this.
A couple of weeks back I bought a 07 Golf GTi MK5 fully loaded with DSG gearbox! Been wanting to buy one now for a couple of years, finally found the right one.
I am trying to figure out how to use the RNS510 sat nav properly. It sometimes gets itself in a muddle and thinks its in Germany. Any ways to cure this?Is there a way to reset all the settings and possibly upgrade the maps? I spoke to VW and the update DVD costs the best part of £70!! Any ideas where to get it cheaper?
You help would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks
Shyam

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
I'm not sure how this works outside of the US, but I'd also ask your dealer if there are any open TSB (technical service bulletins) on your unit. My RNS510 began to behave erratically a few months after buying my GTI and a firmware upgrade at the dealership fixed it (well, mostly anyway).

The update DVD you speak of is just a newer Navteq data disc with updated maps. That shouldn't have anything to do with the problem you're experiencing. RNS510s are known to be temperamental.

UGFast89

The Dubster Sith
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I had it. Drove me nuts. Slow map and static-y sound. So I took it back to the dealer and they gave me the other head unit. Couldnt be happier.

GTIRaider

Go Kart Champion
Ha I have this unit, can't hold favorites and drops out of Sat about every week. Also I don't even have the nav disk so i get to miss out on that fun. One day I'll replace it, when I figure out what I want.

BranCKY3

rubndub
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Ha I have this unit, can't hold favorites and drops out of Sat about every week. Also I don't even have the nav disk so i get to miss out on that fun. One day I'll replace it, when I figure out what I want.

RNS-315. I upgraded from the RNS-510 and couldn't be happier, it's better in every possible way.

Casual.GTI

Banned
Car(s)
07 GTI
well your first problem is that you have a DSG. 6MT all the way!!!

GTIRaider

Go Kart Champion
RNS-315. I upgraded from the RNS-510 and couldn't be happier, it's better in every possible way.

Yeah but what did you pay for that? Amazon price is 1700 for those things.