GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone go from GTI to rabbit?

tree_hugger

Banned
Not the best financial advice. Do what you can afford. Is it worth going further in debt just to have those extra features that the GTI provides? The Golf/Rabbit is still a great little car. If you can make a few sacrifices to be better off financially, then by all means do it.

this

also, this post hits it right on the head.

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
If he owes more than its worth, how can he sell it? He would lose money most likely. That would be even worse financial advice imo.

Fact is, he should probably just keep it.

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
If he owes more than its worth, how can he sell it? He would lose money most likely. That would be even worse financial advice imo.

Fact is, he should probably just keep it.

+1. If you're upside down on it already, refinancing will put you in even more debt over time. And trading at a loss to get into a simpler model is money out of your pocket. Keep the car if you can.

MarkR

Ready to race!
the only thing im bummed about is losing satellite radio. but i can live without all the other crap the gti has to offer. sure theyre nice, but its not worth stretching my money if i plan on moving and having a place to live is more important than a car. will i miss it? you damn right i will. but its not the end of the world.

i talked to my credit union who is financing the loan if they did auto re-finance and they said they dont offer it, and every big bank turns me down for some stupid ass reason. i find these places online but they look shady. so the best option at this point to me atleast would be to trade the gti in on something that will be less per month.

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
ugly, single disc player, basic gauges, no steering wheel controls, plastic steering wheel, crappy shift boot and ball, light grey/beige headliner was ugly, no console, no sirius radio, smaller brakes, no xenons, uglier bumpers/no side skirts, much slower engine.

Lol. I have the nav, golfball shift knob, GTI headlights, and some work under the hood. The Rabbit is all about what you make it. I didn't like that mine had nothing, so I fixed that. I wasn't going to waste even more money for a GTI since the Rabbit is paid off.

UGFast89

The Dubster Sith
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Lol. I have the nav, golfball shift knob, GTI headlights, and some work under the hood. The Rabbit is all about what you make it. I didn't like that mine had nothing, so I fixed that. I wasn't going to waste even more money for a GTI since the Rabbit is paid off.

True, but in the end.. You have a wabbit :smile:

HondaSlayer

rally car wannabe
Car(s)
09 BMP GTI

X2

In 09 i got a new car for grad. I wanted a rabbit w all the extra stuff so i could eventually turbo the 2.5. Something about couldnt find a rabbit w all those options so i was asked whether i wanted to settle, get a gti, or a diff car altogether...

Im extremely happy i have the 2.0T. I have plaid seats and 18" denvers.

I didnt get as much pinoche as i prob would have w a bimmer but i got a lot more than those w the rabbits with no thunder under the hood.

Anyways...gti wins. Unless the rabbit is TFSI :p

kayubassist

なんとなく
Car(s)
Audi A3
yea, when I had GTI and my mom had a Jetta 2.5 it was a noticeable difference in overall driving experience. may I say... Jetta/rabbit don't feel as solid as GTI.
you can drive a GTI after driving a rabbit/jetta, but not the other way around.
well.. you can but you will soon regret it.

slo_latino

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 Rabbit
i went from a nicely modded 350Z Touring to a 09 Rabbit...its two totally different cars but i think i made the right choice in the end. its 'smarter' for me as of right now at this stage in life. i won't lie though, it sure is a fun little car with TONS of cargo and great mpg :)

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth

I had no idea, thank you. :thumbsup:

yea, when I had GTI and my mom had a Jetta 2.5 it was a noticeable difference in overall driving experience. may I say... Jetta/rabbit don't feel as solid as GTI.
you can drive a GTI after driving a rabbit/jetta, but not the other way around.
well.. you can but you will soon regret it.

The only mechanical difference other than drivetrain are the brakes (the larger GTI rotors fit with the bracket kit) and the suspension has slightly lower and stiffer springs and sways (have them both). I have never noticed and the structure being any less stiff or anything like that. Structurally there is no difference between the Rabbit and GTI. They both came off of the same assembly line in Wolfsburg (only Jettas are made in Mexico) and each was made exactly the same until each body was designated to be GTI, Rabbit, Golf etc. So as far as how solid they are, they are exactly the same.