Stampedevxl

RACECAR > STANCECAR
Car(s)
really?
Zero to 60 mph: 6.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 17.4 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 28.3 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 7.1 sec
why does it take longer to go from 5-60 than from 0-60?

i saw one at the vw dealer and the mkv looks 4x better.

and is the different gearing on the dsg true for the mkv's?

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Like the mkv body style more but best one imo was the mkiv. I had one of those before the mkv.

navyslideby

Big Turbo Vroom
well thats a bummer..... i have always been a fan of GLI's but if they are going to do this to them then i shall be no longer...

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
I like them but for the price..car and driver is correct. Just get a gti.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
My issue is that the MKV and MKIV had better interiors, looked better, handled better, and just felt special. This car just doesn't hit any of that and for the same price you can get a GTI which comes with better stuff.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
My issue is that the MKV and MKIV had better interiors, looked better, handled better, and just felt special. This car just doesn't hit any of that and for the same price you can get a GTI which comes with better stuff.

youre right. i love my mkv. the mkvi feel wide and heavy :frown:

CW08DSG

I don't care.
Car(s)
08 GTI 2dr DSG
It's sad, because as the reviewer said, the prev. gen. GLI was a great sedan alternative to someone shopping for a GTI but that really wanted a sedan, not a hatch with 4 doors.

For the price of a loaded up GLI, I'd take a lower trim level CC and call it a day.

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
I think that more than anything, VW chose to appeal to small sedan drivers that wanted a little more than what a regular (read: castrated) Jetta could offer. So, they ended up with a Jetta that's indeed more powerful and agile, but a bit softer than the GTI to balance things out for the every day sedan driver. One thing I will say about the new GLI though is that it's probably the best looking sedan VW makes now (yes, I think it even looks better than the CC). I passed by one the other day while doing errands.

But in the end, what VW decides to do with the GLI doesn't really affect me so much. I'll take a hatch any day and a German-assembled one, at that.

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
I think that more than anything, VW chose to appeal to small sedan drivers that wanted a little more than what a regular (read: castrated) Jetta could offer. So, they ended up with a Jetta that's indeed more powerful and agile, but a bit softer than the GTI to balance things out for the every day sedan driver. One thing I will say about the new GLI though is that it's probably the best looking sedan VW makes now (yes, I think it even looks better than the CC). I passed by one the other day while doing errands.

But in the end, what VW decides to do with the GLI doesn't really affect me so much. I'll take a hatch any day and a German-assembled one, at that.

The last GLI had plenty of room and my problem is that the quality of materials is not as good as the last generation and performs worse than the last generation. The car does not make sense, it is supposed to be sporty, but just isn't. And no, the CC looks WAY better.

Starscream

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 GTI (4 door)
I don't like what they've done w/ the latest gen Jetta. I looks very plain and the cost cutting is very apparent compared to a MKV. Don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but like as C&D said, I have a higher grade of expectation based on the MKV and MKVI GTI's or the MKV GLI's.

For the money, I'd rather spend the extra $2145 and get a sexier and sleeker CC R-Line. (GLI as tested price - $28315 vs. CC R-line price - $30460) I haven't driven the new GLI, but I have driven the '11 Jetta SE (2.5) and a '10 CC Sport (2.0T) and just in the comparison of exterior/interior I'll spend the extra couple grand for the CC.