GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

car inspection and tinted tails.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
Hello everybody, I have a quick question, I'm do for my vehicle inspection by the end of the month. My car is registered in Richmond VA, my question is, do you guys know/think I could get into trouble for having my tail lights tinted? All responses regarding my question are greatly appreciated. Sorry about the pic, wether its been really bad.

Attachments

• IMG00033-20100304-1145.jpg
    IMG00033-20100304-1145.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 484

njfast07

Go Kart Champion
I think you'll be fine, theyre not that dark. As long as the red reflectors are visible and the brake lights can be seen from (in NJ its 500ft, idk for your state) then youre all good. check your local laws online.

spartanrabbit09

ask me about my wiener
Car(s)
09 Rabbit
idk they do not look too dark....but the DMV in CT is a pain about that kind of stuff, idk about NY tho....when i first had them done i asked a cop if they meet the standards of CT, (even though that sounds dumb it will give you a good idea)

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
thanks for the responses, i'll keep on searching on-line, but I thought to ask for help here, where I always get my answers to everything car related and more LOL

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
This is from the Virginia State Police web site:

6. - INSPECT OTHER LIGHTS FOR:

•Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch.
•Aim of fog and driving lamps.
•Illumination of all lamps, lens color, and condition of lens.
(NOTE: Every vehicle must have a rear lamp showing a red light to the rear, a white light illuminating the rear license plate; vehicles over 7 feet wide or extending 4 inches or more beyond the front fender extremes must be equipped with approved clearance lamps and reflex reflectors. Count load in measuring.)
7. – INSPECT SIGNAL DEVICE FOR:

•Correct indications and tell-tale (visual or audible).

What do you guys make out of this.

LBVdubin

Baggin aint easy
This is from the Virginia State Police web site:

6. - INSPECT OTHER LIGHTS FOR:

•Aim of fog and driving lamps.
(NOTE: Every vehicle must have a rear lamp showing a red light to the rear, a white light illuminating the rear license plate; vehicles over 7 feet wide or extending 4 inches or more beyond the front fender extremes must be equipped with approved clearance lamps and reflex reflectors. Count load in measuring.)
7. – INSPECT SIGNAL DEVICE FOR:

•Correct indications and tell-tale (visual or audible).

What do you guys make out of this.

Doesn't seem to specifically specify luminescence or anything of that sort. Unless they can somehow check brightness with a meter i don't see there being a problem?

aladdin

Ready to race!
VA suxxors. They didnt pass my brothers prelude because he had clear corners.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
VA suxxors. They didnt pass my brothers prelude because he had clear corners.

Well, I always had clear side markers on my neon, and never gave me a problems. Does your brother's clear corners have the DOT stamp in them? I know that was an issue with a set of tail lights I had, they weren't OEM, therefor didn't have the DOT stamp.

maxgtiturbo

Banned
idk they do not look too dark....but the DMV in CT is a pain about that kind of stuff, idk about NY tho....when i first had them done i asked a cop if they meet the standards of CT, (even though that sounds dumb it will give you a good idea)

you should fix your sig, im pretty sure that you have a beatle engine cover, not a bettle engine cover...

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
I live in VA, and I have clear side markers and have never failed inspection. i also know plenty of locals who have tinted tails that have never had issues with inspection...

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
I live in VA, and I have clear side markers and have never failed inspection. i also know plenty of locals who have tinted tails that have never had issues with inspection...

thanks for the response. Lets hope they don't nother me about this.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW GTI MkVI
Update: I did my VA state inspection on saturday, amd my tinted tails were no problem, they didn't even pay attention to them :)