GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM motor mount, TSI, alignment, vibration?

problemsolving

Passed Driver's Ed
I've searched and can find nothing about alignment on motor mounts for this generation. 58K and I've been chasing a highway vibration for 28K miles. Car is stock with stock wheels, I've already been through the wheels, tires, control arm bushings. Have not done the axles b/c there is no ripping of boots and just slight lateral play 4mm or so in right axle..but not horizontal play at all and again it's happened since 28k when I got the car and it now has 58K.
Here the kicker, it depends on the highway surface, newly paved road is the worst yet a somewhat smooth concrete road I never feel it and yes it's only about 60mph and above and does not change steering side to side, braking and does it right up to higher speeds. Many people could live with it and I probably could if this car was modded but it's not except for a basic stage 1.5 tune from unitronic. So, this weekend I was down in Orlando with this car and took it by a performance shop who races this exact car and does lots of performance. Owner took if for a ride and said motor mounts were bad and the if the motor moves it could create a drive line angle issue with the CV creating vibration. I've seen this with a conventional driveshaft but not on front wheel drives. He said there was too much movement on the engine when you rock it in drive with your foot on the brake. But, again he is used to performance cars that have poly or higher durometer mounts. So, I'm replacing the motor mounts on each side but not the dogbone because it looks and feels like new. Now, there is no leakage of oil that I can see but I have yet to take things apart.
When I do install new motor mounts is there some type of alignment to go by? I'm just putting the OEM's back in.
Sorry for the long post but I knew questions would come right back, Thx people!

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
I think the motor mounts fits in one way and there's no alignment specs to worry about. There aren't any adjustments to be made IIRC. I had a shop do mine when I got the clutch done, but when I replaced the transmission mount (driver's side) on my Mazda 3, as long as the threads were lining up you're good to go.

problemsolving

Passed Driver's Ed
I think the motor mounts fits in one way and there's no alignment specs to worry about. There aren't any adjustments to be made IIRC. I had a shop do mine when I got the clutch done, but when I replaced the transmission mount (driver's side) on my Mazda 3, as long as the threads were lining up you're good to go.

Yes, thanks for the reply. No need to align this generation. I had seen on humblemechanic that they had to do this on a R32 but I believe is was an MK4...?
Anyhow, for anyone following I do think this helped my vibration on the highway. I'll know more after I drive a few different interstates this weekend but for now driving it on one of the brand new paved roads here at 65 and up it was a marked improvement. Also, I did not do the dogbone or pucks as they seemed factory. In addition the factory mounts(remember only 58K) had no oil leakage but they are very easy to move around unlike the replacments from REIN. They still move more than you would think they should but I realize if they are stiffer you will get more vibration and for a relatively unmodded car I don't want it.