GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurocars build thread

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Had an issue with the gears locking up on the trans so I took it apart again to investigate. One of the brass pads on the steel fork was hitting the inside of the case, partially locking one of the gears and not allowing the two halves of the case to fully seat. Shaved the pad down with a file and everything rotates freely

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Pulled the old trans to swap it out with the new one. Also pulled the oil pan because i saw some assembly lube on one corner of the pan. Evidently i didn’t do the best job sealing it up. Fel-pro makes an oil pan gasket for the 1.8t that fit great after i modified it some. Also finally made myself a fuel pump controller extension harness since i was finishing up some for other people. The fuel pump controller now sits under the front passenger seat on the floor instead of under the rear bench seat

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Finished making a new mounting bracket for my oil and coolant lines. The old mount i made wasn’t great and i didn’t want the lines rubbing on anything causing leaks. All lines are now wrapped and p-clipped. I added DEI to the mounting brackets and knock sensor connectors that i relocated to the rear of the block.

All hardware checks are done and all bolts marked once torqued. Engine is back in the bay, finishing the rest of the install later this week. Still need to loom the back section of the engine harness but i want to test drive it before it’s all sealed up, so the back half is wrapped in black fabric tape

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Got the new dogbone mount installed tonight (old BSH is for sale in the classifieds if interested). Probably more NVH especially with the VWR puck.

Ordered a 42DD shift cable bracket to try and support the cables and keep them off the exhaust. 42DD said it would fit with the OEM metal cable bracket but it’s way off

Also started on the alignment since it has a TT rack. Used whatever i could find to lock the wheel

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
I put a VWR puck in my car too. That APR dog bone does look pretty nice.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I put a VWR puck in my car too. That APR dog bone does look pretty nice.

I bought it because of the spherical bushing. I wanted some articulation in the mount, whereas the BSH one didnt have enough due to the design. BSH would have probably been fine if the dogbone and subframe bushings were still softer rubber/poly but I didnt want to risk cracking the case under hard acceleration/launches