GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unpleasant transmission feel, worn synchro, solutions?

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
I purchased my second GTI with high Kilometers. And unfortunately, I feel the last owner really grinded the gears.

For some gears (especially 4th) at times it feels it doesn't want to get into gear, as if there is a second bump or level. While firmly shifting there is no issue but its simply unideal.

Are there any small mods or fixes which can reduce this issue? I'm sure I need some new shifter bushings, but would a Short Shifter help at all? As the gear changes would be shorter.

Not interested in rebuilding the transmission.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Mine was a bit as yours, first replace the oil with the OEM one, I insist OEM one, it's expensive but it's the only one that work consistently. Also how is the clutch feel? Maybe bleeding the clutch can improve things. What year is your transmission? Mine had input shaft play and I had to add a washer it shifts much better now (the washer is already present on 2007+)

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
Mine was a bit as yours, first replace the oil with the OEM one, I insist OEM one, it's expensive but it's the only one that work consistently. Also how is the clutch feel? Maybe bleeding the clutch can improve things. What year is your transmission? Mine had input shaft play and I had to add a washer it shifts much better now (the washer is already present on 2007+)

It is a 2008

I did the transmission fluid flush in my last GTI which was an 07, it made no difference as VW claims its "lifetime fluid" But I don't really believe any fluid can be lifetime.. I will change the transmission fluid sometime this month.