GOLFMKV

Camshaft Positioner (Bank 1 Intake)

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
VIN: WVWZZZ1KZ6W026392 License Plate:
Mileage: 207810km-129127mi Repair Order:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Type: 1K (1K0)
Scan: 01 03 08 09 15 16 17 19 25 42 44 46 52 56 62 72

VIN: WVWZZZ1KZ6W026392 Mileage: 207810km-129127miles

00-Steering Angle Sensor -- Status: OK 0000
01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: Malfunction 0010
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
46-Central Conv. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: Malfunction 1010
62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels:. 06F-907-115-AXX.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 115 HW: 1K0 907 115
Component: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI G00 0070
Revision: --H01--- Serial number: VWZ7Z0E2301799
Coding: 0403000318070160
Shop #: WSC 00221 210 81322
VCID: 63C5198DA255BF52A8-8036

1 Fault Found:
000010 - Camshaft Positioner (Bank 1 Intake)
P000A - 008 - Slow Response
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 10
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 207669 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 09:01:00

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2591 /min
Load: 7.4 %
Speed: 38.0 km/h
Temperature: 92.0°C
Temperature: 33.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1010.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.970 V

Readiness: 0000 0000

Now I am going to be completely honest in the areas that I worked on recently that were probably the cause of this somehow, so as to not send anyone on a wild goose chase. Before posting this I have had a look online and can see that this can be as simple as needing an oil change to some quite major resolutions.

So I recently embarked on changing the rocker cover gasket and VVT cover gasket, off the back of a health check and recommendations made by the guys that did a stage 1 mapping for me.

So all went relatively well if you don't count this, apart from some grief getting the timing chain cover off, due to someone previously using some kind of sealant on it.

So in the process it is worth noting and I so wish I hadn't messed around with the HPFP as much as I did but I ended up taking off the two screw cover at the top (I know, not sure why I even did this), removed the cam follower to check and placed back in ( it did seem to go in tight though, not sure if I should have coated it in something, could this even be the cause of this issue?) Other than that nothing should have been moved regarding the timing chain etc and I then just bolted up everything to the spec I could find online.

You will see from the log above that it has not caused the CEL to come on since the mileage against the fault initially. So is there any chance that this could please be a one off as it was just getting back into the groove of things (wishful thinking at best I suppose)

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
VCID: 63C5198DA255BF52A8-8036

1 Fault Found:
000010 - Camshaft Positioner (Bank 1 Intake)
P000A - 008 - Slow Response
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 10

Now I am going to be completely honest in the areas that I worked on recently that were probably the cause of this somehow, so as to not send anyone on a wild goose chase. Before posting this I have had a look online and can see that this can be as simple as needing an oil change to some quite major resolutions.

So I recently embarked on changing the rocker cover gasket and VVT cover gasket, off the back of a health check and recommendations made by the guys that did a stage 1 mapping for me. So, you only replaced gaskets? No codes at that time I assume?

So all went relatively well if you don't count this, apart from some grief getting the timing chain cover off, due to someone previously using some kind of sealant on it. That is normal...sealant is used along the bottom portion of that gasket...although some techs may apply it all about the gasket.

So in the process it is worth noting and I so wish I hadn't messed around with the HPFP as much as I did but I ended up taking off the two screw cover at the top (I know, not sure why I even did this), removed the cam follower to check and placed back in ( it did seem to go in tight though, not sure if I should have coated it in something, could this even be the cause of this issue?) No, not likely.Other than that nothing should have been moved regarding the timing chain etc and I then just bolted up everything to the spec I could find online.

You will see from the log above that it has not caused the CEL to come on since the mileage against the fault initially. So is there any chance that this could please be a one off as it was just getting back into the groove of things (wishful thinking at best I suppose)No, not a chance. It is simply detecting and reporting to the ECU the slow N205 reaction and/or poor flow and pressure to the N205. It has recorded the event ten times.
Anyhow, now that you have this code, it is likely the chain adjuster screen inside the cam chain cover is plugged or the N205 itself is plugged...and that is if nothing is wrong with the VVT system inside; tensioner bridge, N205 itself, N205 wiring, or chain. Was it unplugged? And was the Basic Setting performed when done? See Step Eight for the passage screen: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...ck-D-I-Y-Cam-Chain-and-Tensioner-*BPY-engines

Last edited:

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Yes, unplugged it in terms of the N205 if that's what you mean? Checked out step eight and didn't touch anything in terms of the chain and tensioner etc.

I just took the case off, cleaned the mating surfaces and placed a new gasket on and re-seated, back as I thought it had been before but obviously something took a dive somewhere :(

I just went to remove the N205 valve now to have a look and see if there was something I could do to resolve without removing the VVT case again but one of the screw heads is knackered, so ordered a removal kit to hopefully get it out and a new valve as well for good measure. Is there merit in doing that do you think?

In terms of the oil seal that was mentioned, where about's is this and is it worth doing also, presume I best get a new gasket on order too as if I remove again I will need to replace it.

I did also the other day get a P0011 over-advanced error but that is yet to be seen again, it seems to be the P0010 A that is the persistent one. Is there a guide you know of for perhaps re-aligning just the chain without removing the chain, sorry if that is a stupid question.

I was just thinking if anything was close in terms of putting the case back on it was the cam bit with the slit in it, sorry for the terminology as that is another thing I wish I had done and that is to remove the top cover first and then the case but i did it as one.

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Sorry, yes forgot to say in my last reply. Just replaced gasket, no codes along these lines whatsoever prior to doing this.

Thanks in advance

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry, yes forgot to say in my last reply. Just replaced gasket, no codes along these lines whatsoever prior to doing this.

Thanks in advance

If this all happened after removing the cover you need to remove it again and look at the oil control rings for damage or missing.

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Thanks, that sounds like a reasonable shout considering what I did. Don't suppose you know the part code for the 3 rings do you? I did a search online and didn't come up with anything.

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Also do you know of the part for the top of the case gasket as i am thinking i will remove that this time too unless you advise against it?

Also anything else worth changing whilst in there, reluctant to do chain etc. As it was allegedly done not long before i bought it a few months back.

Although VCDS shows 4 degress against 093, is that ok?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks, that sounds like a reasonable shout considering what I did. Don't suppose you know the part code for the 3 rings do you? I did a search online and didn't come up with anything.

06f198107a https://www.shopdap.com/06f-198-107-a.html

You can check the screen in the cover https://i.postimg.cc/cJ5YqPrS/sidecover-oil-screen.jpg

Take a look that bore of the camshaft adjuster this is new https://i.postimg.cc/SKb36tym/adjuster-bore.png

You want to make sure you do not have deep groves in it that can cause damage to the rings when installing or loss of pressure if very deep.

Not sure what part you are describing at the moment but you can look here and find diagrams and part number but you will need to double check for current numbers.

https://i.postimg.cc/SKb36tym/adjuster-bore.png

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Thanks for helping out GTI's...Ii am not on the laptop much these days.

harp86...I took the pic in the link GTI's gave and "red-circled" that screen for the oil portal so you can see how critical it is when sealant is applied there and not to over do it in that area:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
These guys usually give a P0016 code when they break but check them again as GTI's said. When or if you remove them for replacement, check and clean the inner ports of the N205 that are underneath those rings. All of the VVT system relies on the oil flow for valve adjustment...so be sure all is free of debris on the N205 valve and that passage.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine..._PDcaoBk1JN-5rCM1m1FuG671w5eFAzatuRoCb3Pw_wcB

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Thanks both, think I am going to have to take it off again as like you both say, this is not going to go away by itself. It is a shame as it is driving and starting like a dream at the moment, admittedly it does judder a bit at idle, particularly if cold.

I have gone a bit mental but basically purchasing the following, some just in case:

Cam pressure sensor, N205 valve, gasket, timing kit that includes chain, adjuster and tensioner, plus the three rings that were mentioned (my word those are some expensive washers)

Just out of interest, I presume the thoughts are that there is probably nothing wrong with the N205 itself as it is basically doing its job in terms of nothing was being reported before this work but it is reporting back as not being happy since messing around in that area.

Does anyone know of the part for gasket that is behind the circular lid above the cam shaft itself? Basically the bit that sits over the circular hole in the picture. As I presume I should remove this before the case or was it OK to remove as one?

Sorry and slightly off topic with this one but the bit I removed at the top of the HPFP to get to the tricky bolt where they usually say to remove the nut for the pressure release valve, should be left alone and I should be removing the pressure valve over the bit I did. I am annoyed as all videos don't even suggest removing the two screws ( so why did I) I did and for good reason I presume, shame as it was an easy way of getting to that bolt.

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Hi, so got the cover off and took some pics. The three oil rings seemed to be intact but moved quite freely in terms of spinning around?

The small holes seemed clear?

The other bit to the main case, took this off this time. Is there anything i should do with this and is there a proper gasket part for it or is it just silicon?

Thanks in advance

harp86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK5 Golf GTI
Just to complete this thread. I have touch wood not had this issue again since putting everything back and decided to do the chain at the same time, so that is now from 2 degrees from 4, so some improvement there. I also did the valve that sits on top, so cannot say for sure what did the trick.