GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Stock MKV ECU Tune

Mike041

Hey folks,

I was wondering if someone can help me out or direct me to the correct spot.

I have an 08 MK5 GTI with the 2.0 Turbo I inherited when my daughter passed away a year ago

Took it to the Smog place last year to get it smogged but it didn't pass. I had a feeling someone tuned it, when I accelerate hard I get a nice puff of black unburnt gas.

Anyway, got a call a couple months back from my second daughter that the car wouldn't start. I get to the car expecting a dead battery (she is a pro at killing batteries) but the car cranked and wouldn't fire. I noticed the PRDNS was blinking. Some research led me to believe the trans mechatronics was suspect.

Took it to the dealer with the expectation I would need to replace the trans mechatronics (thanks for the forum info on that). But the called me and told me the ECU was toast. (ECM Part number 1K0-907-115-S) and wanted to charge me $2500 to replace. This didn't line up with the indications on the dash and I asked them about it and asked if they were wrong if they would cover the cost of poor diagnosis. Clearly they don't have faith in their people/processes because they said the would not.

A quick youtube tutorial and I find out this is a 1 hour job and and a 150$ used part. So I bring the car home, much to their disappointment.

So I now have the ECU, OBDII cable on the way, however I need the stock Tune. I don't need to boost it. I use this now for my daily driver to work and just want it to pass smog so I can register.

I did contact an online Tune supplier but they don't offer the stock tune unless I buy a stage tune. I am willing to buy the stock tune, I just don't think it is worth 500$.

I can't seem to find the stock tune online. Does anyone know of a cost effective way to get the tune?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Mike041

Thanks for the Reply!

Based on your feedback I am assuming the ECU I picked up, with the same model number, should be an exact match to the existing ECU.

But if I don't have the same exact part number I can run the immobilizer?

I swapped out the old ECU with the replacement today. I still have the same symptoms.

My assumptions at this point is that, as expected, the dealership is wrong.

EDIT:

Looks like the new ECU is good. It also appears I do need to get it flashed or "immbolized" as you mention. the immobilizer kicked in and I now have the "SAFE" on the display. I still have the blinking PRDNS but I hope if I take it to the dealer they can re-flash and will solve the problem.

Last edited:

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
They will be able to recode the ECU to your car if you bring it to the dealer. Hardware wise, all MED9.1 ECUs (the one you have) are the same. The immobilizer defeat recodes the portion of the ECU that looks to see if it matches the code in the instrument cluster for anti-theft purposes. An immo defeated ECU can be used in any car with the same ECU

if you send me both I can clone the one. no need for IMMO bypass. with BDM I can open the original and read everything, then open the replacement and write what I got from the original, perfect clone. it won't even know it's not the original

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Are you able to tell me the differences are between the BPY and BWA ECU?
The map is probably not exactly the same as they are not the same market (small differences due to emissions, type of gas, etc...). You will also be able to tell if its a BWA or BPY software with a diagnostic tool.