GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing HID bulbs - can't get the igniters back on!

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
Hey guys,

So, my driver side HID bulb burned out the other day. I finally received my replacement D2S bulbs in the mail and started the process today. I've been following this guide.

After much cursing, I finally got the bulbs to seat in the projectors with the retaining rings in place. But now, for the life of me, I can't get the igniters to lock back into place on the ring. I'm positioning them in the 10 o'clock position and attempting to turn clockwise to 12 o'clock, but it's like they just don't want to move - at all.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm extremely frustrated right now. :mad:

GTIRaider

Go Kart Champion
Best thing to do is take the headlight out. Takes around 20mins a side to do it and makes it 100% easier.

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
Ugh. I was afraid of that. Ridiculous that you have to do that just replace a stupid bulb. :p

Thanks for the response!

xatnys360

Ready to race!
Are you having trouble with both ignitors, or just the driver side? I had a helluva time the first time I did this and it seems to be a very common complaint. First thing to check is to verify the ignitor locking mechanism is working properly. Plugging in the electrical connector activates the locking mechanism - make sure the locking action is working when that tab is pressed and that the lock isn't always on.

I had first success moving my ignitor closer to 9 o'clock, but it seems the lockup wasn't quite right - the ignitor later worked loose and almost cooked the entire assembly. Be careful.

Get a mirror and a headlamp or something so you can see what you're doing without removing the whole headlight assembly. Play with the locking mechanism and bulb (use the old one) outside of the headlight - understand how it works and locks.

Mine gave me trouble that first time, but it's pretty easy to do now - I think the locking units can get misaligned on disassembly. Keep at it and you will eventually get it.

chunkisagoonie

VW Lifer
Car(s)
'97 Golf Jazz
Are you having trouble with both ignitors, or just the driver side? I had a helluva time the first time I did this and it seems to be a very common complaint. First thing to check is to verify the ignitor locking mechanism is working properly. Plugging in the electrical connector activates the locking mechanism - make sure the locking action is working when that tab is pressed and that the lock isn't always on.

I had first success moving my ignitor closer to 9 o'clock, but it seems the lockup wasn't quite right - the ignitor later worked loose and almost cooked the entire assembly. Be careful.

Get a mirror and a headlamp or something so you can see what you're doing without removing the whole headlight assembly. Play with the locking mechanism and bulb (use the old one) outside of the headlight - understand how it works and locks.

Mine gave me trouble that first time, but it's pretty easy to do now - I think the locking units can get misaligned on disassembly. Keep at it and you will eventually get it.

With the help of a friend, I ended up just taking out the headlight assemblies and doing it that way. GTIRaider was right. It's a HUNDRED TIMES easier just to take out the stupid assemblies. Got the bulbs seated with the ignitors in place in under a minute after they were out.

About the most annoying part of getting the headlight assemblies out was disconnecting the wiring harnesses. Those were a PITA and I even broke a clip on one of them. :p

But I have working headlights again (Philips Ultinon 6000K) and boy are they PURTY. :)

Thanks for all the tips, guys!

MYGTI07

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTI
Replacing D2S bulbs on these cars are only for guys with patience. The more frustrated you get the longer it will take you.
I always take my time and remove the bumper then pull the headlight out to avoid breaking the plastic rings.

Noobicon

Vtec yO!
Just take your time, I just did this last night and had to take a step back a few times.

Are you trying to plug the wire back into the igniter before you you twist them into place ? Because you have to plug the wire in after they have twisted in.

I found the igniters to be much easier than the rings that hold the bulbs.

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Replacing D2S bulbs on these cars are only for guys with patience. The more frustrated you get the longer it will take you.
I always take my time and remove the bumper then pull the headlight out to avoid breaking the plastic rings.

I had to do mine last month!

I agree, taking the bumper off and taking the headlight out is 1000% easier than with the lights in.

The alignment is so much easier with the lights out!

EvoIII

Ready to race!
Did this last week. After removing igniter, bracket and bulb, reassemble by fitting igniter back into the bracket, then push the bulb back into the igniter. Once these three parts are assembled, place this entire assembly back into the housing, holding the " black bracket" and turning it clockwise to tighten. Ensure this is aligned with the connector placed in the housing slot before tightening.you do not need to remove the bumper or light housing. This took me about 10 minutes.

Briggs253

You are doing it right, it just takes a lot of patience. For me, getting the retaining rings back on was more difficult than the ignitors.