GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stance on spoiled kids?

cwhite09GTI

Daily Racer
parents bought me a new 04 wrangler when i got my license...drove it into the ground and bought the gti.

PatientlyWaiting

is waiting patiently
I don't see a problem with it.

I had my car purchased for me when I graduated High School.

Some people are just more fortunate than others, that's how life is :wink:

How they choose to act with it, is a different story.

+1. My gripe really is when those kids slam their car to the ground, ruin their fenders and then think they are the coolest shit since sliced bread.

I mean, my parents certainly had the money to provide me with a vehicle, but they didn't in order to teach me the value of a dollar. Glad they did makes me appreciate the things I've worked hard to get.

I will say that the age of the average mk5 owner has dropped significantly since they came out. Now that cars are available used more and more kids are getting them as first cars.

gmakdaddy

Yummy
Car(s)
Red 4 Door
My kid who turns 16 in August will get our rusty 9 year old S10. He has to take care of insurance and has to feed it, but I see no issues with him getting it. Whenever he drives it's always this one that is used and he does the upkeep on it. It's fine to reward good behavior, but a lot of the kids with "new" cars are just spoiled brats in our town. Those kids have everything handed to them on a silver platter and it certainly doesn't make them a better person for it.

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Im too old to care...... If your 16 and drive like an a-hole just dont hit me.

J-DUB

got splashback?
spoiledkidsarespoiled

its one thing to hand them rusty truck keys, another to hand them a 5oohp beast when they cant even parallel park.

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
When I entered college my parents gave two choices:

A) A somehow nice University, but having to catch 3 buses to get there each day.
B) Most affordable car on the market for me and my bro and sis and a little less nice University.

I took the car :smile: it was a 2001 Chevrolet Chevy (Opel Corsa B) with a shitty 1.4 engine and only 60BHP, with no assisted steering, or AC, not even a stereo, but I slowly moded it with what I earned from my weekends work as a drawing teacher for kids.

In the end I saved enough to make an engine swap, but ended up using that money as a paydown for a Renault Clio 172.

I was really grateful for that little car, I loved it, and took good care for it during the 3 years that was at home before it was sold. My brother and sister never cared enough to learn to drive while the car was there so it was basically mine; a few days ago I saw it on the street (after 6 years) and it still looks as good as when I sold it, so I'm glad the kid that bought it is taking good care of it too.

TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI
It kind of jump starts the natural selection process, so I don't mind.

lawn mower

Banned
The way it worked for me, my parents bought my car off te dealer used ( in 06 with >5000 miles on it) when I got my license. I paid pretty much all of my paycheck back to them for the car, paid my own insurance, and gas. And when my car was wrecked because i got ran off the road, I paid my deductible on the insurance for the repairs.

I have paid for every mod to my car, my intake all 4 different suspensions that I have/had on my car, tune, exhaust, bumpers, everything.

My car is paid back to my parents in FULL, and the title is 100% in my name now, and I am paying for my own insurance on my own policy.

While I realize that I'm in the minority here, I think it really just depends on the situation.

I had to buy my first car at 16, it was a $200 1990 Cavalier that had been gutted of plastics, rear seats, and all carpet. Used that to drive to school, then to UPS for co-op, then to my college classes after work, and then night shift at a burger joint. Gas, insurance, upkeep...were all up to me.

A year of that, and I was able to afford an upgrade to a 1985 S-10 Blazer.

Then I joined the Air Force, went to japan, saved my afghanistan money, and bought my GTI with cash. No greater feeling than that guys...

...even if i can afford it, I will not be giving my kids a car when they are old enough to drive. Its not impossible for them to do on their own. What doesnt kill them, only makes them stronger.

-FF

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
+1. My gripe really is when those kids slam their car to the ground, ruin their fenders and then think they are the coolest shit since sliced bread.

I mean, my parents certainly had the money to provide me with a vehicle, but they didn't in order to teach me the value of a dollar. Glad they did makes me appreciate the things I've worked hard to get.

I will say that the age of the average mk5 owner has dropped significantly since they came out. Now that cars are available used more and more kids are getting them as first cars.

But my car is slammed and my fronts are kinda pooped on :cry:.

+1. The Average MKV Owner Age has dropped, because of how much more affordable the MKV Platform is now. Insurance has dropped too.

I'm appreciative of the lessons and everything my parents have taught me. I'd like to think they've taught me well :biggrin:

i agree with phil on this one. some are more fortunate than others. everyone has different morals and a sense of whats right and wrong. not our place to comment on how they raise their kids. not everyone who is considered 'spoiled' end up being lifes losers after their parents cut them off.

+1. It's not the first car that Parents buy their children where they go wrong, let me tell you. It's from the whole childhood, and how they raise them. The morals they enstow in their children, the decision making skills, and the child themselves.

I was a really good kid. Won't even lie, went to school, came home, played video games. Didn't go out too much until my Senior Year. Got good grades and all, so I really didn't give them a reason to not want to get me a new car, as long as it was a reasonable price.

my parents did it for me and as long as i can see that my kids' heads are on straight, i will do it for them.

I completely agree. My family is fortunate, and well off. They have the means to give me what I want, and what I need, as long as it's reasonable.

Hell, My parents had the money to put me in any car that I wanted, not bragging, just stating, and well, they chose a GTI. Why? Because they didn't want me in a Japanese car, but they didn't want me in a $50,000 BMW either.

They wanted me to learn the value of money, meanwhile still spoiling me, and letting me know that they love me and what not.

As long as my kids are stupid, I'd do the same for them. I can gladly say some of the people i've met through modding cars, and stuff like that, are some of my closest friends. I don't see a problem with it!

07emkayvee

Slappin' Da Bass Mon!
Car(s)
07 gti
I didnt get my car till i was 20. And im 21 now lol but my first car isbthe GTI so i guess i aint to mad. I had to save up 4g tho anf my parents helped me with another 3 for a down payment. And i myself make the payments. I dnt have a problem with HS kids having cars. Although i do hate the stuck up ones with benzs, rovers, &bmws that mommy and daddy bought em.

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
First car i got was from my folks, a 14 year old (at that time) buick skylark. Had that for a few months until it died and then got my dads 12 year old 300e. Maintained it & took care of it until i couldn't justify the cost and bought myself my first car, a jetta while in college. I was grateful for what i had. come to think of it, for as affluent an area as i'm in (forbes ranked top 40 cities in the US too), other than one kid, nobody got brand new cars.

I will say that if my parents buy my little 16 year old sister a car, and refused to even assist me or my older brother in a car or insurance, I will go ape shit!

-FF