GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake Fluid

Hilton_K

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 GTI
up for new fluid in my next service so I'm going to get some better stuff put in. How much is req'd for a system flush and refill.

Cheers,

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
Pardon my ignorance but what is wrong with the standard blend?
Allow 1500ml for a generous flush and refill though 1 litre should suffice.
The top spec Motul is pretty darn good but would likely provide little noticeable benefit; fade is best addressed at the heat producing end by trying to improve heat dissipation which generally means bigger disc area (the GTI's are huge already) and/or increasing the number of pistons/pad area. Pad compound is a more about bite characteristics than fade resistance unless the issues previously listed are all addressed as well.
Let us know how your subjective assessment before and after turns out.

Dingah

Dingah

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
I can't remember how much it costs for the GTI, but even from the MINI dealer it only costs about $100-120 to get the fluid flushed/refilled.

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
talk to Gerhard at GC Corp and get some Neo Gold fluid.

from memory when i did my brake upgrade on the old GTI Gerhard recommended me to get 2x 500ml cans for the flush

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
talk to Gerhard at GC Corp and get some Neo Gold fluid.

from memory when i did my brake upgrade on the old GTI Gerhard recommended me to get 2x 500ml cans for the flush

Same.

I'm about to do mine with Gerard's nice fluid (+ DBA rotors, braided lines, new pads etc.)

Just bought a nice Professional Mityvac via EBay - already done the motorbike fluid & it made it dead easy.

Androo

lolwut... ??
Same.

I'm about to do mine with Gerard's nice fluid (+ DBA rotors, braided lines, new pads etc.)

Just bought a nice Professional Mityvac via EBay - already done the motorbike fluid & it made it dead easy.

I've heard some iffy talk about DBA rotors, some have been warping and not lasting long. RDA make good rotors for a bit cheaper.... DBA used to be made in Australia though are now made in china, quality has slipped a bit.

I've got RDA slotted (325mm front 320mm back) + EBCgreenstuff on the 330Ci and damn they pull up hard! specially when warm/hot they are excellent, good enough for the road. Do the brake fluid too, i used Dot 4 cant remember which brand.

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
Haven't heard that talk but I'd be confident that if anything happened Gerard could sort it out with DBA wrt warranty. Supporting the sponsors has it's benefits :)

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
Stick with DBA is my advice the cheaper ones despite last posting, were (in the past) never of an equivalent quality.

Dingah

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Haven't heard that talk but I'd be confident that if anything happened Gerard could sort it out with DBA wrt warranty. Supporting the sponsors has it's benefits :)
Don't think he's a sponsor anymore

Hilton_K

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Upgrading for a little more performance will be attending some motorsport this year so thought I'd get a bit better fluid, car is nearly 2 years old so I'm due for a fluid change anyways. Not expecting any difference to brking power etc just after a better lasting brake feel at the track :wink:

Going with AP Racing600 fluid, got recommended 1.5trs for full system flush and refill (with some left over for top ups if req'd later down the track) getting braided brake lines thrown on as well. Not upgrading pads or rotors yet as they don't need replacement will wait until they a little more worn.

OZVWConvert

Ready to race!
Upgrading for a little more performance will be attending some motorsport this year so thought I'd get a bit better fluid, car is nearly 2 years old so I'm due for a fluid change anyways. Not expecting any difference to brking power etc just after a better lasting brake feel at the track :wink:

Going with AP Racing600 fluid, got recommended 1.5trs for full system flush and refill (with some left over for top ups if req'd later down the track) getting braided brake lines thrown on as well. Not upgrading pads or rotors yet as they don't need replacement will wait until they a little more worn.

Won't take long to wear through your pads and rotors once you start doing your motor sport :biggrin:

Good work on the braided lines, they certainly help to reduce fade... Also, make sure you don't use any fluid from an open tin after a couple of months. The stuff goes off as it soaks up the moisture in the air.

NGT10V

going, going, GONE
Mitch, i think officially the full flush is 1.2L, but workshops can hardly be bothered doing a full flush, especially with good, thick fluid... takes too long draining it and then pushing through new fluid. if you're doing lines though then i spose they will, but it will still be hard to get all the fluid out from in between the master cylinder and the line connection points.

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
Braided lines will do almost nothing for fade resistance; their primary benefit in terms of feel is that as they flex/expand less than standard lines when placed under pressure they should manifest as a firmer pedal feel under firm application. Fade resistance comes down to one thing only and that is heat and how to dissipate it more efficiently.

Dingah

melbv

time to modify
Car(s)
speed
i recently purchase Adam rotors and pads in the GB.
Just wondering... i might as well do the brake flush when i get those installed.

Please advise below:
how many litres of brake fluid i need? = 1 to 1.5l from above threads?
What brand is recommended? (motul dot4?)
how many hours of labour?
what is the estimated total cost for the above?
where in melbourne can i get this done?

i got a quote - 3hrs work and cost 300-400. is he trying to lighten my wallet after i send my car to him?
thanks in advance

Last edited: