GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help- new flutter noise GTI

Ice Halo

Ready to race!
Had my car for over 3 years now.

Just noticed in the last few days a fluttering noise on lift-off of throttle, particularly at higher boost... Also, there is a slight "rattle" noise (almost like boost leakage) on upshfiting 2nd-3rd and 3rd-4th and downshifting back through these gears (particularly with a throttle blip to match revs).

Usually the sound was a straight "pssssssssstttttt" after lift off from the diverter valve, now its a flutter, like what you'd get with a modified Jap turbo. Similar to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjCwKDV5ODE.

However, unlike the video, this doesn't happen at idle->revving- I can only replicate it when the car is moving and lifting off, and its louder on higher boost eg. 3rd gear accelerating from ~1700rpm then lift off after 2000rpm.

Is it a problem, and what could be causing it?

There is no CEL, the car accelerates the same as before, and there is no "whooshing" during acceleration like what you'd get with a torn DV.

I've never noticed it before, only just what I thought was the "normal" diverter valve sound.

Btw, I'm not modded, all is stock.

Last edited:

clutrz

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had the flutter noise happen to me around 3-4 times since having my car but I can't replicate it. It's always happened at random. Will watch this thread with interest.

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
Any chance to log the car?
Maybe there's another leak somewhere else?
PCV?