ZF SACHS Performance Coilovers

GT15VW

All show no go
Car(s)
Golf GTI 07
looks the goods stevo

Jig

Flow Motion
awesome drop Steve. Thanks for the reply.

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Thanks boys. Here's a pic I found of the car when I first got it, gives a good comparison of the height change...

And a close-up of the front - told you it was filthy! :biggrin:

Last edited:

WhiteJames

Fun Nazi
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MKV
I've even managed to rub once or twice on the current settings, though only on one particular sharp downhill bumpy left-hander.

Exactly what I'm talking about.
Extra big wheels + Lower ride height = Rubbing.

Esp on downhill corners with loaded suspension when striking bumps/pot holes/undulations in roadway.

You're able to use your hose as long as it has a trigger nozel - you know.

Cheers
WJ

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
While I was playing around with my suspension setup recently, I took the opportunity to get a closer look at those notorious front fender screws. As mentioned previously, I had some occassional rubbing from the front on a couple of extreme sharp downhill turns. After putting on the Advan's the rubbing increased slightly due to the wider wheels with lower offset.

Instead of whoosing out and raising the front, I decided to lower the sucker some more. I yanked out those two little screws and it became pretty obvious where the contact was being made...

You can see where a portion of the black screw has been polished from the tyre contact. With the screws removed, all I did was tuck the plastic liner behind the metal tab. Didn't even need to bend up the metal tab. The liner doesn't move at all and hasn't added any sounds. Best of all, the car is another 15mm lower and ALL my rubbing has gone away now! Amazing what a few mm can do. :thumbup:

Here's a bigger version of how she looks now... :biggrin:

Last edited:

funny

VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !
Car(s)
Golf MkV GTI MY07
The extra camber is obvioucly helping with the rub, and.or the fender mod.

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Not really, camber doesn't really change after lowering at the front according to Derek.

florinb27

sachs coilover

Hey guys, been having a lot of fun playing with the damper settings to see the difference in ride and handling. It actually encourages you to do it because it's so easy to change. :bow:

One thing I originally preferred about the Bilstein PSS10 was that it had the numbers on the dial to help you remember your current settings. Obviously, I'd never had coilovers before and now realise that this is pretty pointless - the Sachs kit is adjustable to 20 positions, they wouldn't be able to fit the numbers on anyway - and you really adjust by feel, I don't think you would be able to see the numbers on the rear dampers anyway without jacking it up, kind of defeating the purpose. I'm sure the Bilstein boys will correct me if I'm wrong.

My neighbourhood testing has been more compliance evaluation on the rough, choppy roads over performance. During install they were set to 13 all around, you definitely feel the road more but it's still surprisingly comfortable. Changed it up to 6 all around and it's definitely approaching stock comfort levels. At 1 all around, I think it's even more comfortable than stock - though it still feels more responsive, probably due to the different spring rates and lowered height.
At 18, the car is tight as a drum. It is much firmer and communicates the road a lot more intimately, though it still doesn't feel harsh. It's a weird experience because it almost makes the car feel lighter - much more willing to turn in - and it even makes he gear changes feel quicker and smoother! I'd have to drive it a lot more at this setting to determine whether it's just more bouncy and jiggly, or a real back-breaker.

I currently have them set at 7 front, 8 rear. Will leave that for a while to get a more long term opinion.

After getting them installed I've realised that you could easily get them to stock height if you wanted (probably even higher), which is great for guys like Matt with lower body kits. It is also very quiet, probably a touch more of a thud than stock when you hit speed bumps and the like too fast. I don't have any spring sleeves and haven't had any slapping either, nor squeeking or grinding.

Cheers,

You said you can even set up the car height to the stock level or heigher?
I'm asking you because I'm looking to upgrade suspension and Sachs is an option. But I'm interested to keep the stock height which I so is possible for Bilstein PSS10 but the specification for Sachs said it will be lowered 30-50mm.
I preffer Sachs because is more comfortable comparing with Bilstein; I understand from you that for 1/20 setup is even more comfortable comparing with stock?
Thank you

Last edited: