GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE FORMULA 1 THREAD

Myfast_GTI

Super User
There are talks of mandating two pit stops per race. Martin Whitmarsh said that had their been a Safety Car period on the 5th lap they all could have come in and switched to the Prime tire and run out the rest of the race distance on it.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
I don't know if it would have been the same way. We don't really know when Vettle started having problems, but Alsonso was starting to make up some ground on Vettle and get close at least with 12 laps to go.

Speed channel's coverage kills me. I know they are trying to look out for people just getting into it but wow dramatic. Also, I love how they skated around the USF1 issue all weekend. Never really discussing what happened, only talking about how ambitious they were to try to do it all in house. I know Peter Windsor is their boy and all but come on

What about the Schumy issue? Not bad, not great. He didn't look that fast, but still was competitive. I'm thinking he gets a little more seat time and he could be dangerous again.

So much to talk about after this weekend. What about Rossberg??? J. Buttwho????? Force india could throw a wrench into everyones plans. I plan on seeing them on a podium again. Will be an interesting season to say the least.

turboed

Low Blinker Fluid
There are talks of mandating two pit stops per race. Martin Whitmarsh said that had their been a Safety Car period on the 5th lap they all could have come in and switched to the Prime tire and run out the rest of the race distance on it.

I read that earlier. WTF, mandating pitstops!! I know they are trying to make the "show" better but taking away the changes not making news ones is the real solution.

The whole 2 compound rule is one of the worst IMO and they (Bridgestone) can't even get that right when some teams were running fine on the prime today.

OhPee

Go Kart Champion
It was super boring.

Other than the loss of power for vettel, nothing happened after the first lap. And I don't think someone going slower because of a busted engine makes an exciting race. All f1 does now is reward endurance. If I wanted to watch endurance racing, Id watch more amls. They need to do something.

At least on the classic track there is something to look at other than race. The buildings in Monaco or the trees at SPA. Flat desert tracks are like watching an ant farm.

Myfast_GTI

Super User
I never caught what was going on with Mark Webber's car at the start of the race... I jokingly said to my wife that it was his James Bond smoke screen to get away from the other drivers chasing him.

gmakdaddy

Yummy
Car(s)
Red 4 Door
That new and improved track was one of the worst designs ever. It took a boring race and made it a snooze fest (everyone fell asleep watching it). The new section and it's bumps reminded me of the roads in Michigan. F1 is getting so boring to watch and the constant tinkering with the rules don't seem to help.
It was pretty funny how they never really mentioned the USF1 team.

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
Ferrari powered McLarens anyone?

Whitmarsh also revealed that McLaren has consulted its Maranello-located competitors with regards to cooperating with one another, having talked with Ferrari Chairman Luca di Montezemolo last week. "Our message there was, 'We want to race with you,'" Martin explained. "'Where are you going to go? Why don't we go together?'"

turboed

Low Blinker Fluid
McLaren, Mercedes GP and at least two other teams will have to make modifications to their diffuser designs in time for the Australian Grand Prix, AUTOSPORT has learned, after the FIA told them that it is clamping down on a loophole being used by the outfits.

Discussions took place between the FIA and representatives from four teams over the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix weekend about the size of starter motor holes in their diffusers.

The size of their starter motor holes was believed to be excessively wide, which, although not in breach of the regulations, was reckoned to be going against the spirit of the rules.

F1's technical regulations state that a hole can exist in the diffuser to allow access for an engine starter motor - although there are no strict dimensions laid down.

Article 3.12.7 states: "A single break in the surface is permitted solely to allow the minimum required access for the device referred to in Article 5.15. [supposed to refer to starter motor, although this is Article 5.16]."

There is no specific definition of what the 'minimum' size is though - so some teams have been using exotically shaped starter motors to allow themselves to feature wide-shaped holes in the diffusers. This concept was pioneered by Brawn GP in 2009.

Such a hole in the diffuser helps create another tunnel for air to flow through - which as well as helping to produce more downforce, also ensures such downforce is more consistent throughout a lap - especially under braking, when the rear of the car rises up and the airflow can stall.

The FIA inspected the diffuser designs in Bahrain and promised to issue a clarification about the matter after the weekend had finished.

AUTOSPORT understands that the FIA has duly sent a note to all teams, laying down strict dimensions for not only a maximum diameter for the holes but also for a maximum projected area.

It is believed that McLaren, Mercedes and two other teams - believed to be Renault and Force India - will now have to make modifications to their diffuser designs in this area prior to the next race in Melbourne.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said in Bahrain last weekend that his team was one of many that was under investigation over the matter.

"There are holes in the diffuser for the starter, the hole in ours is no bigger than the one on the championship winning car last year," he said. "And also no bigger than it is on about four other cars."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82234