GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GROM USB/iPod interface adapter

nmcp1

Searched but came up with nothing. Anyone have this?

VW / AUDI / SEAT GROM USB/iPod interface adapter(GROM-USB2-VAG)

Looking to use only the USB portion as I have no need for and iPod. Currently I have my entire music collection in mp3's on about 20 discs but am getting a little tired of swapping discs. The capabilities of this thing look impressive but before I spent the money I wanted to see if anyone has any first hand experience?

kdisjubjub

shhh I'm hunting wabbits
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Did you end up buying this? Is it worth it? I am considering doing it, the bluetooth sounds like a great addition too.

nmcp1

I did end up buying it and used it for quite some time. I will say that while it did work it did have it's moments. Initially I had no issues - I was using it mostly for USB functionality. Once you figure out "where the device is" so to speak it's ok, but get lost along they way and you kind of have to start from scratch - meaning restart - meaning shut the car off and back on again. Then out of the blue it just stopper reading the USB. I tried everything from reformatting the USB to upgrading the firmware to completely removing the device and harness from the back of the radio. Nothing worked and by that point I had a smartphone and just gave up on the GROM.

On a side note - now that they have Android integration I may give it another shot - if I can get the firmware to work....

kdisjubjub

shhh I'm hunting wabbits
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Thanks for the response.

I bought the USB2 with android integration. I just installed it yesterday (took 4 hours with the bluetooth mic). I only used it for a day but so far I really like it. The bluetooth sounds great (both audio streaming and handsfree). But again its only been a day. Ipod integration seems to be good too.

The only problem I have been having and maybe you can help me with. Now that I have the grom installed, I have no Sirus XM radio sound. It is hooked up to the radio and i can see the channels and song names, but no sound... When Installed the Grom, I unplugged the blue connecter and replaced with the Grom.

Did you have this problem too? Do I need to use a splitter?

Thanks

kdisjubjub

shhh I'm hunting wabbits
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Turns out I need a Y connector that Grom sells. Guess I'm going to have to go back in this weekend...

I have been using it more this week. And I must say I am really impressed with the Grom unit. Quality is very good

Chacolla

Ready to race!
Is there any chance you could post a video of the unit in action? I'm not sure if it would even work for my car...I have an '06 GTI with the following radio:

But I have all black buttons, notice the "mix" button instead of "sat".

All I want is the capabilities of hooking up my iPod to my stereo to have access to all my music. Will this one work?