GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

satellite added to OEM radio?

apecrazy

Honey Badger
Forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere but I couldn't find a definitive answer.

I have an '07 GTI with OEM radio (6 disk in dash w/ sat button) but no satellite radio.

I am wondering what is need to add satellite. I am guessing some sort of wire harness, the module, and a sharkfin antenna. Does anyone know partnumbers or can you point me in a direction to find out?

Also, does the sat module have to be oem, or are there aftermarket ones that work with the OEM head unit? (I am only interested in OEM controls for sat.)

Finially, I am not clear what this is... satellite radio tuner pack at oempl.us . Is it a satellite module, or something else? I am thrown off by them comment, "If you want to switch between XM & Sirius satellite radio reception, you'll want to get this tuner pack."

Thanks!

gmakdaddy

Yummy
Car(s)
Red 4 Door
check under the passenger seat for three cables that go into the OEM module. There are XM and Sirius modules that are available. Do you have the shark fin on the top of the car?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
No shark fin, just a black antenna. The modules you speak of have to be from VW? I'll check under the seat...

If that is the case, then the Premium 7 with 6-disc CD changer head unit is not the one that came with the car.
Did you swap it or did you buy the car used?

You must use the VW tuner to make sat work with the Pemium 7,
the tuner communicates with the head unit via the CAN Buss.
All ot the data displayed (station numbers, song titles, etc) is delivered via the CAN Buss.

My XM tuner has two antenna connections - one for digital satellite signals and one for digital terrestrial signals

apecrazy

Honey Badger
The car was bought used, and I know the radio isn't the original. Though I didn't know they made a non 6-disk changer.

Anyway, it sounds like car with the sharkfin use an antenna in the rear window. Do you know if all GTI's ship with the same window. In other words, if I add sat and a sharkfin antenna, does that mean I am looking to replace the rear window as well? :(

Using your pic as a reference, I don't see any plugs for the sat tuner either - which mean I would need the harness and wire diagrams - assuming the wires only go to the back of the radio.

Has anyone attempted this? As much as I like to keep with oem, Maybe aftermarket is the only option...

leahbasskitten

i'm VERY interested in doing the same thing to my rabbit. :)

apecrazy -- please keep us or at least me up to date with what you find. i know i need the sharkfin ant, which i found a great tut here:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3508

but i'm not even sure of where to order it. and i know i will need the sirius tuner, which i don't know where to order it either. :(

thanks!!