GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question for DSG owners / DSG savvy

pwalsh53

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, so I assume the transmission shifts more aggressively (harder, faster, holds the revs) in sport mode than "D" right?

My question is: if you're using the paddles, will the shifts be more aggressive in S vs. D? I'm guessing in D (without the paddles) it just drives like a normally smooth auto.

Let me know guys,

Thanks!
Patrick

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
pwalsh53 said:
Ok, so I assume the transmission shifts more aggressively (harder, faster, holds the revs) in sport mode than "D" right?

My question is: if you're using the paddles, will the shifts be more aggressive in S vs. D? I'm guessing in D (without the paddles) it just drives like a normally smooth auto.

Let me know guys,

Thanks!
Patrick

well ive only had my car for about a day now....but when using the paddles it seems the shifts are always the same...now "D" and "S" are pretty much the same...u dont use the paddles for them..."D" as with most cars is a normal driving position...but with "S" its like D but with a more aggresive shifting pattern..."S" holds its gears longer then "D" does

just touching the paddles puts the car in "manual mode"...doesnt matter if its in "D" or "S" or even moved over into the Tipronic position

hope that sort of anwsered your question

nomios

Touring Car Champion
D and S are not the same... Use D if you want good gas mileage.

S will try to always keep you at good point in the power band (holding gears) and you get cool down shifts.

You can be as aggressive as you want in manual mode... to a point. The car is not going to let you blow the engine. If you floor it in manual mode, the car is going to shift when it hits 7,000 RPM (same point S mode shifts when floored) whether you like it or not.

That’s cool in my book. With a true manual, if you miss the shift and hit the rev limiter, the throttle is going to be cut off and you are going to feel dumb.

Manual mode is fun, but I find myself using S mode more often. :thumbsup:

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I've been playing with S the last few days, usually I ignore it in favour of manual... it's much quicker than I recall! The car's computer really is the FAST personified... much faster than I am!
Manual is more fun IMO though.

capulina

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
My GTI, duh!
i dont remember being able to go into manual mode from S. hmmm seems like im gonna have to try it out tomorrow. since i am in the break in period, i keep it in D for now. Man i cant wait to unleash my fast.

nomios

Touring Car Champion
you can use the paddles in both D and S. Say you are in D and want to pass. You can use the paddle to drop a gear for the needed power. After approx 30 seconds or so the Auto mode will kick back in and take over. If you want it to take over sooner, hold down the + paddle (the one labeled off).

Last edited:

marx92x

Autocross Newbie
In response to your question (about manula shift differences in D v S) I would agree with Freek, once in Manual mode - all shifts are the same.

BTW - unless your in stop and go, S Rocks!

(yes. w/ a capital R)

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
capulina said:
i dont remember being able to go into manual mode from S. hmmm seems like im gonna have to try it out tomorrow. since i am in the break in period, i keep it in D for now. Man i cant wait to unleash my fast.

u dont know what u are missing....after having my car for a day...i can say that DSG is the best new thing in automotive techology when it comes to transmissions

i will say that while im just driving around in normal D that i do get alittle bored...but once i touch a paddle it puts a huge smile on my face and im off and running :burnrubber:

Last edited: