GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Replacement Parts

doc280

Ready to race!
I always shop around for the best bargain, Ebay, Amazon, Advance Auto, ect, ect.

The great thing about these cars is they are popular enough that there is a vast amount of part suppliers out there, which bring the prices down.

Him Downstairs

Thanks doc280, I usually do the Advance, Autozone, or Oreillys. But I kinda wanted some fellow VW lovers opinions. And bargains are the best.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I typically buy from my local shop hstuning.com for aftermarket parts or for OEM parts from friends who work at dealers to get the friend price, around cost + 5-10%.

Since I am indecisive, I use my local shop to help me vet parts and brands since they use a lot of brands in real world scenarios, road and track, and have strong opinions beyond your typical internet bs. They also usually hook me up with prices better than sales and msrp. Which usually just means I spend even more $$$ in the end. [emoji849]

For things like fluids and little odds and ends I usually just go to any local store like Advance or whatever is closest. When there is a sale on Castrol, for example, I'll buy several cases at once and stockpile.

I only use OEM parts for real mechanical issues. I'll use anything for interior parts or non essential things like trim pieces. I'll use proven aftermarket brands for mods. I try to not cheap out so I only buy something once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I still use oem for things like; all of the sensors, coils, cam follower, timing belt and chain, vac pump, cam chain tensioner, wheel bearing/hub, and pcv and evap valves and more. I usually only buy aftermarket for things that are aftermarket mods. I haven't gotten to the point of trusting A/M replacement bits yet but I feel the time coming as I do think about it. I usually look at the price I could get them for online and then if the dealership doesn't match it or come close to the online price plus any applicable shipping...I order online. I usually do a broad search using the oem part number when price comparing.

ECS tuning carries oem parts.
I check here as well because the prices here are usually lower than what the local dealer wants to charge; https://www.vwpartscenter.net/
Most times the dealership comes down to the price when I mentioned I can get it for online...but you have to give them the price for an actual oem piece and not that of an aftermarket supplier piece. Sometimes I tell them where I saw the price and they actual look online and see if it is oem and to confirm the price I said I could get it for.

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I still use oem for things like; all of the sensors, coils, cam follower, timing belt and chain, vac pump, cam chain tensioner, wheel bearing/hub, and pcv and evap valves and more. I usually only buy aftermarket for things that are aftermarket mods. I haven't gotten to the point of trusting A/M replacement bits yet but I feel the time coming as I do think about it. I usually look at the price I could get them for online and then if the dealership doesn't match it or come close to the online price plus any applicable shipping...I order online. I usually do a broad search using the oem part number when price comparing.

ECS tuning carries oem parts.

I check here as well because the prices here are usually lower than what the local dealer wants to charge; https://www.vwpartscenter.net/

Most times the dealership comes down to the price when I mentioned I can get it for online...but you have to give them the price for an actual oem piece and not that of an aftermarket supplier piece. Sometimes I tell them where I saw the price and they actual look online and see if it is oem and to confirm the price I said I could get it for.

I think you worded it better than me. I do basically the same thing. And I use OEM coolant by buy it at cost thanks to friends and OEM recommended oil but buy it from anywhere if I find it cheaper than the dealer (which is almost always).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Exactly...coolant, me too...and DSG fluid as well. Oil; I use LiquiMoly 5w40 from NAPA @ <$40/5L ( https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/AORLM2332 ) ...it is way better than Castrol and is actually 100% synthetic. US oils only need be >51% to state "full synthetic". Pays to shop around and then see if the dealer will match or at least come close to a price you find online. One of the last parts I bought from the dealer was a new hpfp @ $288, so they matched what I found it to be online and then he said they only made $0.50 on it. I've since bought a new oem battery at $110 and a pair of upper front strut bearings (1K0-412-249-B) for $45/pair (brand SKF are $26/pair) from the VW dealer here.

Last edited:

Him Downstairs

Thank you guys, I was in the market for a set of axels. So hopefully I will find a set for a decent price. Where as I only need the passenger front. Thanks macc70, ROH ECHT, and clownish.

doc280

Ready to race!
Thank you guys, I was in the market for a set of axels. So hopefully I will find a set for a decent price. Where as I only need the passenger front. Thanks macc70, ROH ECHT, and clownish.

Just for thought when it comes to axles. I tried some aftermarket axles and the design was completely different from OEM. The aftermarket had solid shafts and they weighed a lot more than OEM. The solid shafts induced more torque steer and vibration.

If it is just a boot split, install new boots.