GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 5 GTI Edition 30

jose_costa07

Hey guys, I just wanted to introduce myself and obviously my car ?

I'm José, I live in Hamburg, Germany and I am 29 years old. I bought the GTI a week ago and I am absolutely happy with it. It has about 87.000 km on it and is an absolute mint condition. For those who dont know what Edition 30 means: its basically the Audi S3 engine with 230 hp and the K04 turbocharger. I am very impressed of the power the car puts down.

For the future I am not quite sure wheather to tune it with a CAI, turbo back exhaust and so on. Or should I just leave it stock with only a few cosmetical mods??? Usually here in Germany tuned cars are sold fur much cheaper than stock cars and as a matter of effect it is an Edition 30 which are quire rare!!

I would appreciate if you could share your thought!

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 4,046

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Welcome and greetings from another ED30 owner! Congrats on your new ride you're gonna love every minute driving it and you should beyond any doubt get a tune, I mean like right now! Can't think of a cheapest way to get an extra 70-90 hp (depending on tune and settings). And stage 2+ will turn the car into a little beast. Beefed up internals, S3 injectors, K04, this car was meant to be tuned simple as that.

Other than that it's a rare car indeed. It's crazy to think you could get an almost entirely different engine, together with heated front seats, the stitching, wheels, front lip, side skirts and rear bumper, tail lights and a few other little things, all for an extra €4k on top of the price of a GTI. Best deal I can think of.

So welcome, as you're gonna soon find out if you haven't already, the amount and quality of knowledge on these forums is insane. Btw you'd be surprised these guys here are very familiar with ED30's even if they're not available in the States. :wink:

jose_costa07

Hey DarkX, thank you very much for your reply. What about the reliability of a tuned Edition 30? I saw that yours has about 370 hp. Have you had any problems since you tuned it??
You also said "beefed up internals". Does that mean changing the stock internals? I was thinking about reaching about 350hp and therefore usually it is not necessary to change the internals. Did you do that to you ED30??

@Adrianm: the engine is still stock. So nothing special!! Sorry!

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
I'm beyond 370 and no problems at all. I meant our engine already has upgraded internals compared to GTI, which makes it very reliable for over 400 hp, maxing out at approx. 440-450 hp. Lots of them running w/m (water/methanol) making 420-430 hp on stock internals and still no issues, though I wouldn't push it this far. Your goal of 350 hp on stage 2+ is considered lightly tuned, I would say 370 is perfect and you still won't have to spend much, you're still keeping your stock wg (wastegate) and running 100 ron pump gas. On top of the tune you're gonna need an intake, 76mm tbe (turboback exhaust) with a 100 or 200 cel cat (200 works with all tunes, 100 is a little less restrictive but will work with custom tunes only, and you should find out if your choice can pass emissions in your country), an upgraded ic (intercooler), OEM revision D dv (diverter valve) and an upgraded hpfp (high pressure fuel pump) which can be either the whole pump or its internals. Recommended colder spark plugs (I went with NGK grade 8 iridiums, but you should talk about it with your tuner first) and R8 coils (I went with NGK U5014 which is the same part). He will then remap your car to work with all these little babies and I bet you'll drive straight to the autobahn, actually even the tune itself will instantly put a huge smile on your face :biggrin:

But before all that you should check the condition of your cam follower and replace if worn don't worry it's a €30 (or less) little thing and takes 15 minutes. Also check if previous owner has done the timing belt and dsg fluid service if you're dsg. DSG fluids are replaced every 60k km and timing belt including water pump, rollers and tensioners every 90-95k is a good time to have replaced even if manual says 120. You're near 90k so if not replaced you should put that on your list as well. Other than that like I said they are very reliable engines, tuned or not, if you take care of her she will take care of you.