GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First post!...and GTI smoke screen...

Cgbm

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV
I mean. Whats your boost numbers?

Sounds like you have a dang goo ammount of upgrades.
Such work will cause a rich burn sometimes.

Pcv oil burn would make that happen. You have to know that burning the excess gas and oil will make smoke. If you have those upgrades then you will have more blow by gas and oil.

I have a bsh revamp. If you want it ill sell it to you. Give me $60 and ill ship it to you.

But i would reccomend a catch can more. Because it is a bit more efficient than a revamp. The revamp works and would probably fix your "issue" but a catch can is a best out of a good better best.

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
Only thing the car doesn't have is a boost gauge. I need to get a boost tap and a gauge to check it out. I mean, it runs like an absolute banshee when I get on it, and I can't imagine that it's running any less than what APR says for the K04 on 93 octane. Any time I floor it, even at up to like, 50mph, I spin the wheels and have the wheel slip/traction light flash and I feel like I'm entering warp speed lol

Turbo sounds damn heavenly...

The thing is, it doesn't smoke when I get on boost. It's just when I touch, even very lightly, the throttle after coasting for a bit. Just a big puff of bluish grey smoke and that's it. Sometimes it smells like burning oil, too.

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
Thanks for the offer of the bsh revamp. I'll think about it, but I may just get a catch can.

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
Does anyone know if my compression readings are good? If this issue is piston ring related, I'm seriously thinking of driving it for a bit and then selling it as a parts car. Hopefully the shear amount of good parts including the performance parts would get me a decent price and I wouldn't lose too much.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thanks for sharing the post. I'd say I'm pretty good if my 146K mile engine is still within the tolerances for a new engine.

You mentioned that your car may have forged connecting rods already, it may be that someone did more than just rods when they opened it up, I would have.

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
You mentioned that your car may have forged connecting rods already, it may be that someone did more than just rods when they opened it up, I would have.

Actually, I looked into it. Doesn't appear the rods were done. So I guess it just still has good compression for its age.

langer

i fix teefs
Yes it is. The PCV was replaced at 80k. The guy had a catch can installed from 115k to about 140k but put the stock back on to pass emissions. Maryland is very strict about modifying emissions equipment, but you only have to get the car inspected every 2 years.

Eh? Maryland is definitely not strict with emissions equipment. All they do is plug into your obd port to check codes and readiness. They don't even open the hood, so dude was blowing smoke up yer ass about removing the catch can to pass emissions...in Maryland at least. Maybe a bunch of years ago when Maryland had a brief experiment with treadmill testing.

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
Eh? Maryland is definitely not strict with emissions equipment. All they do is plug into your obd port to check codes and readiness. They don't even open the hood, so dude was blowing smoke up yer ass about removing the catch can to pass emissions...in Maryland at least. Maybe a bunch of years ago when Maryland had a brief experiment with treadmill testing.

?? They've always inspected the car and stuck a wand in the tailpipe for me...