GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CV Axle replacement, Cost?

Maximum6

FASTER
I got a quote from a few shops around town. I'm getting the range of $270 to about $650.

This is just for the front Passenger Side CV Axle replacement. I don't need to replace the axle, but it does have a bit of grease on it, and all the shops told me to replace the entire thing.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
It really depends on how bad the joints are messed up.
If you see a TON of grease has escaped from the boot or if its making any noise you really should replace the whole axle.

I replaced both of my axles with upgraded stage2 axles from Raxles for ~$700

langer

i fix teefs
I went raxle a few months ago, when when I had a torn boot. Great company to order from. All one time use bolts come with it.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
It really depends on how bad the joints are messed up.
If you see a TON of grease has escaped from the boot or if its making any noise you really should replace the whole axle.

I replaced both of my axles with upgraded stage2 axles from Raxles for ~$700

Notice any difference with the raxles installed?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Notice any difference with the raxles installed?

I went with raxle replacement too. It is just an OEM replacement. They can also make up custom 500hp+ versions if you want too.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
The clunking is no longer there (rapidly failing joints), but didnt notice any 'improvements'

Anotehr good point is the stage2 axles are made of a harder metal and are actually thinner than stock, which is beneficial for cars that are low so you dont rub

Maximum6

FASTER
I wouldn't know if the Axle is bad, I can just tell you that it just leak grease recently, cause I check the axles every oil change (6 months). No clicking.

The shops just want to replace the whole axle which the part itself is like $450 for the oem. I think that is kind of steep especially since it is just for one side.

I went to the Raxle website, but I guess I have to contact them? Anybody bought an OEM type product from them, how much?

I guess...the next question is...should I just drive until I hear clicking? cause if I'm just gonna replace the whole Axle...shouldn't I just get my money's worth on my current one which isn't broke...just leaking a bit of grease.

Last edited:

Maximum6

FASTER
Like a smudge still on where that silver clamp is by the plunger sleeve
Next to the wheel. Like I said I check the car often to check these things so the grease is not even flinging anywhere, it just started to have 1 tablespoon of it on the boot area

Maximum6

FASTER
90000, smudge, no drips.

also got in touch with Raxles...so I'm just gonna buy one from them, and have a buddy of mine install it for $100

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
90000, smudge, no drips.

also got in touch with Raxles...so I'm just gonna buy one from them, and have a buddy of mine install it for $100

Yeah they have a great product, the only route I'll go now since both GTI's are tuned and modded. I use to be OEM or bust until I found them. This is not a part you want to cheap out on, I was just in a wreck at road America due to a failed axle.

Brigand253

Ready to race!
I can't vouch for these guys enough. Don't be scared of the price, you're getting a quality product. You are also getting a new axle bolt and axle to transmission flange bolts.