GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil black?

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Ive changed the oil on this crate engine several times since I keep upgrading it. It seems everytime I have the oil out its black. This time was the second oil change after building the motor. First change was 500 miles and that was lubromoly and break in oil and that came out black, this change was to pull the turbo and it was about 1100 and it seems the same. dark as hell, not thick an sludgey though. smells like fuel but I do run rs4s. Just wanna make sure im not having issues before I put it all back together. if my hpfp was leaking wouldnt it be super watered down and reak of fuel?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

DC Dubber

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Seems perfectly normal to me. The only time my oil isn't black is when its in the container. Been like that for the past 5 years and iv'e tried many different brands.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
okay, i was just thinking that after 500 or 1000 miles it shouldnt be black already but if thats the general concencus then I wont worry

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah, no need to worry. Even on my stock drivetrain, my oil is black within 1,000 miles.

langer

i fix teefs
Same here, turns black almost immediately. My diesel motor is worse as it suspends a lot of the soot.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
Great thread! I get the concern cause it's something with this engine. I also have Toyota, Mazda and Ford engines and let's throw in the Honda that I junked. All of those will go 4K miles or so before the oil looks "dark on the stick". I like to judge by the darkness of the oil on the sides of my white plastic (dish) drain pan. If you look right into the 5 quarts it's gonna look black in a couple of thousand miles out of any engine I think. Before that it's really more brown. Not the FSI though!

DietGarfield

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GLI
I think the back of the oil containers even reference it. Says the detergents in the oil will make it turn black quickly.