GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG to manual swap

Spectre

Ready to race!
I'm seriously considering putting in the manual transmission. My question is, will all the components from a 2007 A3 fit and work in a 2007 GTI?

Spectre

Ready to race!
The DSG is too expensive to fix when the mech unit goes out. I can't afford to have it go out every 50K miles. I can deal with replacing clutches. I should have bought a manual car from the beginning. Plus, I miss having a manual.

fastwire

Ready to race!
let is know

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
With the depreciation of these cars since they're starting to get a little older now, would it be cheaper to pick up a new base car that is already manual? Just curious. I haven't blue booked them lately.

Also, I have a 132k miles and have never had a mech unit go, but I'm on a stock drivetrain and supposedly have the "better" one from 2006 (which is why we weren't included in the recall/tsb).

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
As a die-hard manual fan I would be happy to help in this matter. The transmission code for all (that I know) 6MT TSI's/FSI's is 02Q. What I would do is just call a dealership and tell them you are looking for a replacement tranny and see if the code matches. It should.

That being said, I'm gonna be that guy and say it will be cheaper and less hassle in the long run to just sell that and get a 6MT one. Not only will it be cheaper but you can find one with lower miles/different options/colors etc. Tell us what happens.

(Long live 3 pedals)

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
I feel like it would serious work to swap out a DSG to manual. Even with all the parts there is also a lot of electrical work to consider, mounting the clutch pedal and running the hoses, probably have to swap the master cylinder. Just lots of little extras.

I can just about guarantee it would be easier and cheaper to find a 6MT car and swap over any of your parts.

Wüstenfuchs

Alpha and Omega
Swapping to manual only makes sense in cars that were rare with that option. There are plenty of GTi's with manual transmissions to buy. The only value in doing this is the learning experience.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
The mechanical parts seem doable, the wiring and getting the ECU to not freak out is going to be another monster entirely.

If its a project car and you have cash to burn go for it, if not fix it the best you can or sell it.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
The mechanical parts seem doable, the wiring and getting the ECU to not freak out is going to be another monster entirely.

If its a project car and you have cash to burn go for it, if not fix it the best you can or sell it.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
You can buy used mech units and have them recoded to your car for much cheaper than doing a swap.

Car(s)
Subaru
im going to switch to dsg. maybe see if a friend will swap with you. i know i would, even though i just did a new clutch. im wanting to switch anyways but i dont want to drive down to atlanta to do a swap tbh

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
The DSG equipped cars ECU will accept a manual trans but it doesn't work the other way around. I looked I to this and collected a lot of information on it. If going manual to DSG it's a huge pita, new harness, ECU, D/side axle, etc.

But going from DSG to manual is actually a lot easier than you would think. Clutch pedal, master cylinder, slave cylinder, linkage, shifter, D/side axle, and recode ECU. That's pretty much it!

Having said that, it would still be cheaper to buy a new mechatronics unit or rebuild your DSG. If you truly want a manual, as stated above, trade your car in for one and swap parts. I ended up deciding to stick with my DSG, it's just too good of a trans.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Agreed, I gave up my manual GTI for DSG and haven't looked back. Both have their pros and cons.

Car(s)
Subaru
The DSG equipped cars ECU will accept a manual trans but it doesn't work the other way around. I looked I to this and collected a lot of information on it. If going manual to DSG it's a huge pita, new harness, ECU, D/side axle, etc.

But going from DSG to manual is actually a lot easier than you would think. Clutch pedal, master cylinder, slave cylinder, linkage, shifter, D/side axle, and recode ECU. That's pretty much it!

Having said that, it would still be cheaper to buy a new mechatronics unit or rebuild your DSG. If you truly want a manual, as stated above, trade your car in for one and swap parts. I ended up deciding to stick with my DSG, it's just too good of a trans.

really, thats nice to know. might just wait till my motor blows then so i have an excuse to buy a wrecked dsg and go from there then. thanks for the info man

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
really, thats nice to know. might just wait till my motor blows then so i have an excuse to buy a wrecked dsg and go from there then. thanks for the info man

Of course duder! I miss you, but glad you're still here from time to time. How's the car running!?