GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Members Area > Off-topic / Misc.
Parts4Euro

Old 09-18-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Goingnowherefast
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2007 Mk5 GTi 6 Speed, 92 Miata
I have no F&%$ing idea what to do. Career Advice needed.

Hey guys, I know the forum is basically dead especially the OT sub-forum but I figured Id give posting here a try. I'm basically looking for some "this is what I would do and here's why" type answers.

So I graduated college about 4 months ago and have since then been working at FCA at the Proving Grounds doing test driving, licensing, and event coordination. Recently I met a executive that advised me to apply for a certain position. I did and got a call to come in and interview blah blah blah, long story short I am being offered a position that is basically a plant assembly line supervisor with a starting salary that is nearly incomprehensible to someone just out of college (60-80K starting with overtime, great benefits, 401K). The issue is dealing with a bunch of Union workers is going to be a very tough. My father has been high up in the auto industry and he has said it will be a very tough (60+) hours a week job. It is also very far away from the city (Dundee, MI) which would force me to move quite far from my family and all my friends. Another negative is that my degree in not in this area at all. It is an aviation degree which I will not be pursuing a career in that field for a multitude of reasons. So the pipe dream is to go back to school and get a second bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering to eventually work with cars (Dynamics preferably). The issue is that working 60+ hours a week will make additional schooling pretty much impossible.

So option 1 is accept job position, move away from family and friend, buy hella nice things/cars, work 60+ hours and very hard ones at that.
Option 2 would be continuing to work at the Proving Grounds and taking after work schooling. Next year I would start full-time schooling at kettering University (amazing engineering school that has a professional CO-OP Program). Get Mechanical Engineering degree and work in something more "car" oriented, but it would mean being poor for another 3 years while my friends surpass me in every way possible economically BUT I would be able to work where I want to when I actually get a job later.

So to Recap:
Option 1: Accept Job
-Buy nice things (car that I've wanted for forever and lots of track time)
-Move a bit further then I would like
-Move away from friends and family
-Risk potentially not being able to really do the things I am interested in (cars and dynamic performance driving).
Option 2: Continue at Proving Grounds for a year, Get additional schooling
-Would be about 26-27 until I actually am able to start my career.
-Would be poor for the next 3 years.
-Eventually able to work in a more "car" oriented job that would be more up my alley

As you can tell I have no fucking idea what to do. The appeal of money like that huge considering I am so used to being a poor college student. I'm just not sure. If you guys do end up wasting your time here and posting a response then thanks in advance. Cheers.

NA 91 Miata Turbo Racekor Building Starting Soon
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Drives: 2008 UG EFR7163
Well as someone who has already gone through his working career let me give you my 2 cents.

If your dream is to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering and work your way into a position in the automotive industry...... do it now, you will never regret it. If you don't do it now, your chances of pusuing it after taking that job may be lost. You will regret that choice.

Once you start in a career and as your life progresses it becomes increasingly difficult to pursue those dreams. If you take that job, that salary, which is attractive now as a young graduate will quickly seem inadequate as your lifestyle changes. Buying cool stuff, houses will quickly lock you in to that salary/job and going back will be very hard. Add to that the possibility of the usual getting married, family etc and it becomes even more difficult.

This is the point in your life, where you are blessed with choices, because you have the fewest responsibilities. Make the best choice for yourself. To me, Option #2 is the only choice, I personally would not even consider #1 unless your lifes ambition is to work as a Plant Manager. Also it might be a high salary to you but, it may also be a job/postion that turns over a lot.

Visualize your goal, stay focused, stay assoicated with the auto industry at any level during your schooling, it is all part of your education. Good Luck, have a great working career. I pursued my dreams and am so happy I did.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
live4something
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 08 UG DSG
My advice would be to stick with your current job and pursue the field you ultimately want to work in. Money is cool, but is it worth being miserable in other aspects of your life?

Sacrifice monetary gains for a few years and end up in a career that makes you happy. It's not like you're going to be paid crappy as an engineer. I have a buddy that works for MAHLE in the R&D department and loves every day of it. He looks forward to going to work and makes good money doing it. You're young, focus more on the long term consequences of whichever route you go.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
eurocars
5/17/15 - Never forget

Drives: GTI
Send a message via AIM to eurocars
Option 2. I know plenty of engineering and test ops people in the automotive field if you are wanting to move elsewhere
Old 09-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
BlaineWasHere
I brake for apexes!

Drives: Front Rear Sport
Follow your heart.
BlaineWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
zecgti
IDGAF

Drives: 07 bmp gti
smoke a joint, think about it. then go with option 2
Old 09-18-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
Strieg
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI -FSI-
Honestly, man. Go back to school. While your in school try to get an internship somewhere. Somewhere that could hire you on full time after you graduate. Seems like already having a degree would help with that, they should know your dedicated and hard working, considering you've already done it once.

k04 and stuff.
Strieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
vath
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2009 6spd CBFA APR-Stage2
2... and double or minor in electrical engineering perhaps. and get technical drafting experience/training, not just 3D CAD stuff... trust me. (i'm a mechanical engineer)
Old 09-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
Goingnowherefast
FIA GT Champion

Holy shit, I expected like one or two answers. You guys are fucking awesome. It seems like option 2 is the overwhelming majority. The thing that's tough for me is that we go through like 15 years of school and get so tired out from it that I finally want to get out and make some money for a change. Issue being that if I do that I know there is no going back really. As it were, option 1 changed a little bit since the plant they want me to work at is actually in metro Detroit only 15 minutes away from where all my friends/family are living (Place called Royal Oak).

So let me ask this, if there was an option to take the plant job for a year or two while taking 1-2 night courses, and then after the 1-2 years head off to school and bang out a ME degree would you guys do that?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Drives: 2008 UG EFR7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
Holy shit, I expected like one or two answers. You guys are fucking awesome. It seems like option 2 is the overwhelming majority. The thing that's tough for me is that we go through like 15 years of school and get so tired out from it that I finally want to get out and make some money for a change. Issue being that if I do that I know there is no going back really. As it were, option 1 changed a little bit since the plant they want me to work at is actually in metro Detroit only 15 minutes away from where all my friends/family are living (Place called Royal Oak).

So let me ask this, if there was an option to take the plant job for a year or two while taking 1-2 night courses, and then after the 1-2 years head off to school and bang out a ME degree would you guys do that?
You got your answer from those that have lived it, no need to keep asking the same question, the answer will be the same.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
live4something
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 08 UG DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post

Like GIACuser said.

You take option one, time will be scarce. You say hey I'll take a semester off and potentially never start school again and you are stuck in a job you don't want because now you've trapped yourself into a financial situation that doesn't allow you to take a lower paying job. Life has a way of getting in the way when you decide to postpone things. Take the opportunities to pursue dreams/goals when they present themselves, they windows have a tendency to close at rapid pace.

You don't want to end up married with kids and a full-time job trying to do things you had the opportunity to do when you had nothing to stop you in the first place.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #12
Nitrorea
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2009 Golf GTI
My thoughts are yes, ideally you would have your full time job taking night classes along the way. I would take the job, bank all the money and live like you are poor, take the classes in the field you want and go from there. You would be gaining work experience in the process which is just as valuable as money is. If you don't think you can work the job and go to school then your option would be #2, in the long run you will be better.
Nitrorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #13
zrickety
The Fixer

Drives: 2009 GTI 6MT, 2010 GTI DSG
If you have student loans and aren't making significant payments on them, I say take the job. I don't know how it compares to your current job pay wise, but you make it sound like a big jump. Get the money, get the experience, save some money. Heck, you could even work a couple years and save enough to go back to school and not have to work while you do it. Whatever you decide, don't agonize over the decision. Run with it and make changes down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinwark View Post
Smart man, unfortunately I am the friend with the tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
I like that it looks rather mundane and sort of a commuter car but is really a wolf in sheeps clothing.
True ESP OFF on 08.5-09 cars: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190211
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:11 PM   #14
jad413
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 07 GTI
You can't enjoy your money if you're working 60hrs a week. Also, this sounds like a high pressure job, if you aren't an aggressive "type a" personality you'll probably burn out on it. If you're not in debt and no one depends on you to eat, then there's no reason not to pursue what you really want. You never hear older people saying "Man, I wish I spent more time at work".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jad413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
Goingnowherefast
FIA GT Champion

I just wanted to give a little update on this thread. Once again you guys are awesome for taking the time to throw your opinion into my cluster-fuck of a life. I ended up declining that job but I recently got referred to another position because they really liked my interview.

This one is at another plant in a better area. This plant is within a close enough distance that I could still live where I wanted too. It is a newer plant that is a bit less stressful (It only makes the I4 engines for all FCA cars). I interviewed there yesterday and will be expecting another offer. I have also been accepted to multiple universities for mechanical engineering starting in January. What am I going to do? I have no earthly fucking clue

My current situation has changed a little bit since unfortunately my Dads side Grand-parents passed away a month ago. They did; however, leave a sizable amount of money behind to use to pay off debt/further my career/buy a house etc. This means that I now have no student debt and a little bit of money to pay for schooling or make a down payment on a house. So the options seems to be: 1. Take the Job, buy house and cool cars. Start saving for retirement. 2. Go to school full-time, live on complete life support for 3 more years. 3. Continue working at the Proving Grounds, take part-time school. Would finish school in 4 years.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #16
Goingnowherefast
FIA GT Champion

Not that anyone cares but if anyone is interested I ended up going back to school. I'm working full-time at an Engineering company half the year, the other half I'm going to school. I should be done in 2 years having already done a few semesters so I think the advice here helped me make the right decision.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:00 PM   #17
vath
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2009 6spd CBFA APR-Stage2
Thumbs up

Well played....