GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Needed something to do for some zen time. Harder than expected, still need to replace my temp zip ties and hose clamps and clean it up a little. Turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.

Not_Sean

Thanks for this epic thread!!

so much info for me and the new Time attack build on the cards.

Got a question on the DSG oil cooler, If the car was still been driven daily, could you just leave the pump off for the oil cooler and the car would fun fine and then on the track, halfway through the warmup lap turn it on to let the oil get up to temp? Just don't know enough on the DSG systems to know.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Will post a detailed update soon, have not been very good of updating here lately. Not much has chagedbwoth the car hardware wise, but we have been hitting the track. Not as much as we'd like but the most I've been out in a while. Some pretty cool shows and events. Happy to report the car has been trouble free this whole season (aside from stupid minor shit).

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
So here's a brief recap/update and picture dump.

Attended our 3rd annual Windy City Dubfest, car has one an award every year so far. This is also the cleanest this car has been in years lol.

Took home a top 20 award!

The rest of the year we concentrated on just getting the car on the track and dialing everything in. Biggest event we did this year was also my first time back in competitive driving. The cars been in limbo as far as keeping it a HPDE car or finally building for a specific class and start racing again. Well, one thing led to another and we now find ourselves in Gridlife Time Attack running in Track Mod. Lots of big things on the way for the car and looking to run a full Gridlife TA season. 9 rounds total but points are taken from your top 5 rounds.

Our paddock at Gridlife south.

First time ever having a full pit crew and team support. Very happy to be a part of the VWRacers family.

Track shot dump

Chasing lap times takes it toll lol.

While this picture was taken on the way back from Road Atlanta, it sums up how I felt at the end of the season lol.

Already started on the winter projects. First up, more aero! Finally got around to getting these done. Had to modify the canards to work with the fender flares.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
You should mount the splitter supports to the actual bumper bar, not to the bumper cover. Are you planning on doing a flat floor?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
You should mount the splitter supports to the actual bumper bar, not to the bumper cover. Are you planning on doing a flat floor?

Those supports go through the bumper into brackets bolted to the steel bumper support. I was literally in the middle of fabbing up the flat bottom when I found the class I'm running in doesnt allow it. So now I have a 3/4 done full flat bottom setup just sitting in my garage lol.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Finishing the rest of my fueling parts. As of right now the plan is sticking with the gen 2 GTX2876R, shooting for just over 400whp.

APR HPFP
DW65V LPFP
APR S3 injectors
RS4 PRV
water meth

Keep going back and forth if I just throw the turbo on my stock motor and run a low boost tune or just go for the gold and finally finish my motor build. Money is crazy tight right now so progress is extremely slow. Also contemplating OEM manifold or HPA.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
After starting on these 2 years ago. Finally finished the front canards. Ended up adding support rods to them to deal with the downforce and take the stress off the bolts going through the bumper.

Also getting ready to pull the cage and start the gutting process. Very curious to see how much weight the interior is from the B pillars back. Even if it's just 20-30lbs I'll be happy. No sense in keeping it full interior anymore. Once I have the headliner and interior out the sunroof is next to go, that's another 65lbs. Just wish I didnt have to pull the roll bar just to get this crap out.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Nice job on the canards.

Hey can you share source for your splitter and rear wing.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Nice job on the canards.

Hey can you share source for your splitter and rear wing.

No Larry, why would I share information that people could use!

Of course lol, front splitter is the Maxton design race splitter. Wing is a BYC (Back Yard Civics). Maxton you can easily find on the internet, they have multiple distributors now. The wing on the other hand is getting tough to get, it's a small part time company based in the UK. Best bet is searching for them on Facebook and try getting ahold of then there.