GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reckless Driving in Hampton

USAF93

Passed Driver's Ed
I got a reckless driving ticket for doing 81 in a 45. Before you judge it was a desolate road with no other cars...sep for the cop coming around the corner toward me. None the less I screwed up so I'm not making excuses. Looking online there is a HUGE variance of outcomes. Just wondering if anyone here has experience specifically in Hampton. I'm really hoping the fact that I'm old and I have a clean record I will get the charged dropped to something lower.

teejtiu

Passed Driver's Ed
Where in Hampton did this happen?

Are you stationed in Langley by any change?

teejtiu

Passed Driver's Ed
Wish you the best for this one. Oh yeah, I saw that you have the AS-7608, do you go to any local meets or go to the base? I would love to see one in person.

RedAddict

Motherf**king Pterodactyl
Car(s)
MKV R32
Lawyer for sure. I was in Louisa county when I got mine. 94 in a 65. I was young and dumb heh I still am. Lawyer had it dropped to 90 in a 65 which made it 2 days in jail instead of 6 and I lost my VA driving privileges for 90 days. I see you are AF, I'm Navy and my Ohio license saved it from going on my record. Hopefully you kept your home state license. Lawyer should be able to drop 1 mph per year of good driving. Bring your record for proof. Also take a defensive driving class. You will have to do this before the state reinstates your license anyway. Get your speedometer calibrated at beach calibrations. If it doesn't calibrate in your favor, bring cash. The guys operating the dyno seem shady enough to take a bribe. RD is no joke in the commonwealth and there's no easy way to go about it. I wish you luck.

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
Hampton- you walk (been there done that, got like 3 there), with regular fine. Might get a short license suspension. I ended up taking the drivers class once.

Newport News- you walk the first few times then get community service with threat of jail (been there done that...spent a week cleaning bathrooms at some retard school/community center for adults), regular fine. Jail too crowded for reckless drivers.

Gloucester- you walk, HUGE fine. Got a 81mph in a 65mph. walked but the fine was $500. I would have rather spent a few days in jail lol.

Virginia Beach- JAIL!!! They don't give a shit if its your first reckless or you had ten. I was told before hand its virtually automatic. Went to court with a white T-shirt (the only color you can keep under the orange jail suite). Watched everybody in there with reckless go to jail. I went to jail...two days. Jail extremely crowded, I got a mat and a nice spot on the floor in a two man cell. Fine was only like $110.

USAF93

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all, sorry for the delay in getting back with the results. I got a lawyer and she had to get an extension for a month due to her schedule. Plus she said the judge we were lined up for was the hardest. The day of the trial she talked to the police officer and he agreed to a reduction to simple speeding. My lawyer gave the judge my speedo calibration showing a 6mph discrepancy, my online driving certificate and my Florida clean driving record. The judged agreed to simple speeding, $114 fine. I got really lucky but it cost me $550 for a lawyer, $50 for the driving cert, $20 for driving record, $114 for the fine plus $73 for court costs for a total of $807.

Where I got my ticket is the new road off rt134 to go to Langley AFB. There is no speed limit sign but its 45mph. If I hadn't been going 81 I would have argued it because the road I came off of was 55. The police officer was cool in court. He told the judge I was cooperative and there were no other cars around.

teejtiu, I live off East Littleback or we could meet on base. Just let me know.

Thanks for the other replies and hopefully someone learns from my mistake. Reckless driving is treated like a DUI. A bit extreme to me but what can you do?

USAF93

Passed Driver's Ed
No, I'm stationed up in DC now but my family is down here so I was on my way home when this happened. I told my boss (Lt Col) and he laughed at me and then told me all about the times he was speeding and the police let him off. Since the final fine was only $114 it doesn't cross the threshold for reporting to the SSO. I'm still going to run it by them just so I don't have any issues at my 5year relook.

tree_hugger

Banned
ah i see. well, dont do it again :lol:

i was going to say alot of my buddies at my unit always get smashed by tickets off base and then kicked in the balls by their CC.

USAF93

Passed Driver's Ed
I've seen that too. I guess I have one....and ONLY one.... good thing going for me being stationed in DC. I doubt my boss even told anyone else.

Hell no I'm not doing that again. That took all my new pistol money and my wife has a lot of new material to bitch at me about.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Could have gone way worse, on a lot of levels. Glad you came through the experience ok!

Up here, 40kph (25mph) over the limit and they take your car for a week, and fines, towing, storage and insurance penalties total over $2000... and it's pretty much automatic!