GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV Pro's and Con's

RPG2ach

Car(s)
Honda Del Sol Vtec
So I am very interested in picking up one of these cars as my introduction to the VW World, however I wanna hear from you, the enthusiasts, what this car has great from factory and what are some immediate issues that need to be resolved if possible :D

So few things I would like to know:
Motor stout enough to handle more HP before dealing with internals?
-by more HP, I mean like from 200+ to 300HP rating
Major parts that should be replaced immediately to avoid later down the road troubles?
Parts you recommend over others because of (your reason here)!
How many quarts of oil does it take? haha

Everything you can pitch into this thread, the better!
Yes, I could sit here and use the search bar all damn day, or I could just go to the people that understand this car better then the search bar that tells me "No searches found for 'GTI'" haha!

Thnx again guys!
-Zach

ArmoGTI

Ready to race!
300hp you can do with stock internals but not with the stock turbo.

get a late 08 or an 09 with the TSI engine instead of the FSI. FSI requires lots of maint.

5 quarts of oil.

first part i'd recomend is a tune... any of the major companies will do

if you're ever in the valley hit me up!

EDIT: also, if you just search those questions you'll find tons more detailed information, this forum is great for that.

RPG2ach

Car(s)
Honda Del Sol Vtec
Now I feel like a doofus, thnx guys, and cool ARMO your in AZ, I will get ahold of ya if I ever stop by (which I am in avondale/goodyear area a lot when I stop in for visits).

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
So I am very interested in picking up one of these cars as my introduction to the VW World, however I wanna hear from you, the enthusiasts, what this car has great from factory and what are some immediate issues that need to be resolved if possible :D

So few things I would like to know:
Motor stout enough to handle more HP before dealing with internals?
-by more HP, I mean like from 200+ to 300HP rating
Major parts that should be replaced immediately to avoid later down the road troubles?
Parts you recommend over others because of (your reason here)!
How many quarts of oil does it take? haha

Everything you can pitch into this thread, the better!
Yes, I could sit here and use the search bar all damn day, or I could just go to the people that understand this car better then the search bar that tells me "No searches found for 'GTI'" haha!

Thnx again guys!
-Zach

1. yes, you can easily get mroe than 300hp. I don't think you can get that much out of even a maxed out stock turbo, but with a turbo upgrade the internals can handle well above 300hp.
2. spring for a 08-09 with TSI and oil won't be much of a worry. I don't change oil on my own, I only have it done at the dealer service intervals, and there is very little consumption between these intervals. I'm currently at 8,000 miles since the last oil change, and it's doing just fine (09).
3. The parts you will want to replace immediately will depend on if you get a GTI with the FSI or TSI engine. So what model years are you looking at?
gluck

RPG2ach

Car(s)
Honda Del Sol Vtec
Well I have been cranking out the search bar on here, VWVortex, and google...Just over all about the TSI Vs FSI. I didn't know the motor changed during the years, so this is where some new questions come into play...

I know TSI is a turbo motor, not supercharged/twin, and they went from belt (FSI) to chain (TSI) and added VVT (or something along the lines which helps).
So as far as aftermarket support on both platforms...Is there better ways to make power off of one or the other?
I have replaced timing belts a lot on older cars, but NEVER done anything with a timing chain, from the looks of it...it looks way more time consuming and complicated if you don't understand it.

Is it better to get TSI? Or does it REALLY matter? After all, I am sure there are some good FSI's out there, however I am very new to VW and the more you guys can help lead me along the better.

So your recommendations? Really worth the TSI? And why!? Thank you again :D

Edit:
So I just read the "TSI Owners, any problems yet?"
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132141
From this I can tell the major thing that loves to go out...Is the water pump, god that has to suck, thank god its all under warranty, but should it get replaced regardless with an after market, if they make such a thing?
Any other problems that are major with this?

Last edited:

ArmoGTI

Ready to race!
yes. get the TSI.

search "cam follower" and PCV fix and oil consumption for the FSI and look at all the crap that comes up...

TSI doesn't have any of those issues.

both the FSI and TSI are a 2.0 turbo... they both have a K03 turbo... they respond to mods almost the same.. the only difference I've heard is that the TSI gets more of it's power at stage one and the FSI at stage two. That doesn't matter much if you are going for 300+ horse because you won't get that from stage one or two, you'll need a bigger turbo at least a K04.

There's a few other advantages to the TSI as well, the stock fuel pump is awesome rather then the FSI which is total crap and some people get fuel cuts at stage 2.

If you find an awesome deal on an FSI don't rule it out... just keep in mind you're going to have to take a bit more care of it then the TSI.

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
TSI's got upgraded HPFP. So you don't need to get a aftermarket one if you're going to go big turbo.

TSI doesn't have the Cam follower problems that the FSI have.

All the newer cars are TSI, so you know there will be plenty of aftermarket support coming.

RPG2ach

Car(s)
Honda Del Sol Vtec
Armo and Soze, thnx for helping me re-establish some of this information into a better foundation for myself. I will keep on reading and learning more, also I think I am pretty sold on a TSI, so thank you VERY much for your help.

Armo, I am sure you will be hearing lots more to come from me, so look forward to seeing you around on here.

Thnx
-Zach

ArmoGTI

Ready to race!
oh and click that link in soze's sig, I learned a lot from there:thumbsup:

let us know if you get one, we also have the advantage of BSH being based here and there is awesome shops like volkwerks to work with so it's a good state to be dubbin'

RPG2ach

Car(s)
Honda Del Sol Vtec
I am hoping to score one around March of 2011. It will be a b-day present to myself :), and I am not wanting HUGE horsepower numbers out of this car, but I am definately thinking stage 1 or 2.
Anywho, thnx again Armo, I am gonna get to reading that link right now, along with the other 6 tabs I have open. I have been cramming in hours and hours of reading just on the platform, I have yet to start catching up on which mod v.s. which mod is better, and why...
God so much to read still lol

krayzie089

Ready to race!
If you dont think you are going to pass stage 2, go for a TSI. If you have plans for a big turbo upgrade go with an FSI, cause there is more aftermarket options. However the aftermarket is pretty stout for the TSI as well.

Johnny

I'm Here for the Gangbang
FSI's aren't all that bad.
I'm at 34k miles right now and haven't burnt a drop of oil between changes, some drink oil like it's their job but not all.
PCV can be fixed by adding in a catch can, TSI's should put one in also.
As for the cam follower, it's a pain in the ass. But all it takes is $50 and a half hour of time every 10-15k miles.