GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need help w p0507 on my first GTI please

caandywht

I bought my 09 gti (gen1 tsi) 6spmt like 4 months ago. It came w an APR Stage 2 tune and supporting mods. Sometime i had like slight cut outs or like barely noticeable misfires but no CEL and gradually increased. p0507 came up and determined coils were needed because issue passed to another cylinder when i switched it. then i noticed i was getting 1k rmp idling and then would lower itself to 900-800 and sometimes around 700 rpms. i got new r8 ignition coils and ngk bkr7eix plugs or a name like that, I installed the plugs just as they came. the code was cleared but then the misfire thing was reduced to rare occacions and CEL came back for the same p0507. Then i had to replace the stock intercooler because mine cracked. I installed a unitronic aluminium one and i thought I was good but the code came back after i cleared it. so i now have the new ic and the ignitions coils and plugs and still have that issue. i looked at the pcv valve and it looks in good shape, the diaphragm looks good from an eye point of view. i cleaned the throttle body even though it wasnt dirty, im not sure how to test it thoroughly. i did check it opened and closed slowly while the car was off. i checked it w vcds today and the general values seem good for the tps sensor and valve but i dont know how they're supposed to look like when i press the accelerator and release. I tried by tapping the accelerator lightly and releasing quickly (around 20-25% of range)while parked and the car registers it but doesnt rev up. Usually it does respond to light acceleration if instead of tapping the accelerator I maintain the foot on it. sometimes when i put it in first gear and accelerate slightly and try to keep that speed to barely move i get acceleration surges or how ever its called when the car 'kicks' like if i had punched the accelerator..i have noticed with this cold weather it idles a lot better and easily idles normal after stopping when engine is still a little colder. When its warmer out and or engine is on operating heat range it idles after stopping around 1000 then either slowly goes to 800s or spikes to it. i did a smoke test to find vacuum leaks and i got a super small leak where the ic pipe ends, around where the o-ring is at. I'll attach an image to show where. i'll also paste what i got from vcds here.

1 Fault Found:

001287 - Idle Control System RPM
P0507 - 000 - Higher than Expected. - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 5
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 212973 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 14:28:44

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 863 /min
Load: 7.8 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 98.0°C
Temperature: 21.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 870.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.970 V

Readiness: 0010 1100

Attachments

• diagram example.png
    diagram example.png
    412.4 KB · Views: 465

caandywht

update: I now know my issue for the small vacuum leak and will fix asap. Also the previous owner contacted me and told me he "fought" with that code for two years. He claimed he bought it that way and was the reason he sold it. It had a different type of intake before (bsh) or something like that. He didnt have the code when it was on, when he switched to IE intake it came back. I'm running a unitronic ic but maybe all these new mods cause the issue? The car had stock ic when i bought it, maybe the tune was made for the other intake and ic? I'm going to swap the intake asap and see if i can work it out. Should I try a tune instead? I live a few blocks away from IE. What would you do?

Last edited: