GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low and softer--an oxymoron or actually possible?

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Hi everyone. I'm finding that the stock mkv suspension is a good deal stiff, moreso than I expected after my experience with the mkvi (which was a little lacking in the handling department but never left me uncomfortable). I can feel the little undulating bumps a bit too well with the mkv, though larger bumps are absorbed quite well.

A lot of aftermarket setups tend to lower the car, which is great for looks, but usually associated with a harsher ride. I'm considering the following setups--

1. HPA SHS
2. Koni Yellows with mild springs (DG preferred, maybe Eibach Pro Kit or Neuspeeds)
3. Koni coilovers.

Any advice on which to go with? WhiteJames has been a great guide, but he hasn't weighed in on the Koni Yellows or the Koni coilovers except to bundle all three of these under the more comfort-oriented aftermarket setups.

If any of these is noticeably harsher over stock, then I'll give up my dreams of low and just go with stock replacements when the repairs are due.

Thanks!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I tried Pro Kit springs on stock shocks, then I tried Koni FSD and finally I found something I liked... Bilstein sports (Mk6) and Eibach Sportlines.

These shocks are made for the shorter springs and provide for a very compliant street ride when combined with Eibach Sportline springs. I got a very nice stance, decent comfort and fantastic handling when combined with Eibach sways. I highly recommend this setup. I am a senior citizen so if I say "decent comfort" keep that in mind.

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
I've tried the Racingline spring/damper combo and Ohlins Coilovers on my Edition 30 and both are more comfortable than OEM. Way less choppy.

The Ohlins are something else entirely. Utterly sublime suspension.

I don't like low, but here are some pics for comparison.

Stock

[/url]

Racingline -30mm apparently, but looks lower than that to my eyes.

[/url]

Ohlins -20mm. Perfect, not much lower than stock :thumbsup:

[/url]