GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > GTI / Rabbit / Golf MkV General Discussions

Old 06-10-2018, 11:49 PM   #1
DeWet
Autocross Champion

Drives: MKV 2.0 Comfortline
Golf mk6 doors on a mk5

My car has the same problem a lot of people out there with cloth interior are facing with sagging cloth on the door cards.

First I thought what an easy way to fix it if you can just replace the door cards. As all the ones from wreckers has the same issue this was not an option.

So from there I knew I can have them re-upholstered but though why not just replace the doors with ones from a mk6?

Everyone I asked told me they wont fit but no-one would tell me how or where they dont fit.

Found someone with doors for the one side for cheap but didnt want to waste money so got only the rear to check first.

So the bend line running down the side of the car is more sharp on the mk6 than the mk5 but still thought it might be ok.

Fitting it went ok except for the mk5 front door that wont close( might just work with both mk6 front door on)

Anyways here are the result for anyone that wanted to do this.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
DeWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:09 AM   #2
vwengineer
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Golf 5 GTI (stock AXX)
Thanks for your post, so it seems they are indeed not compatible. Even if they fit, they look wrong as they don't don't marry well with the MK5 body.
vwengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
Cjpolokid
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: White and black
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWet View Post
My car has the same problem a lot of people out there with cloth interior are facing with sagging cloth on the door cards.

First I thought what an easy way to fix it if you can just replace the door cards. As all the ones from wreckers has the same issue this was not an option.

So from there I knew I can have them re-upholstered but though why not just replace the doors with ones from a mk6?

Everyone I asked told me they wont fit but no-one would tell me how or where they dont fit.

Found someone with doors for the one side for cheap but didnt want to waste money so got only the rear to check first.

So the bend line running down the side of the car is more sharp on the mk6 than the mk5 but still thought it might be ok.

Fitting it went ok except for the mk5 front door that wont close( might just work with both mk6 front door on)

Anyways here are the result for anyone that wanted to do this.

My 2008 gti was giving me the same problem but my gti only have two doors I took it to the body shop they fix it for $200 now itís closing properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cjpolokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:40 AM   #4
DeWet
Autocross Champion

Can you perhaps add a photo or 2 so we can see how it looks after the door work was done by the bodyshop?

Old 06-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
gti2slow
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2008 GTI UG 6MT
Cant you swap the outer skins? Ive never looked at a 4 door but the skins on my 2 door could be removed.
gti2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:51 AM   #6
DeWet
Autocross Champion

Not sure if that will work.
The black strip covering the skin bolts on the mk5 doesnt exist on the mk6 doors.

Would love to hear from others on this topic