GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passenger headlight still dim with new bulb

error_404

I changed my bi xenon bulbs today, hoping to fix a dim passenger side light, and the bulbs that came out looked pretty rough. After the sun went down, my passenger side still does not throw a lot of light. Looking from the front it looks normal but it does not throw a lot of light on the road. The insulation on the wiring on that side is really beat up, really cracked actually, so I need to replace that but I am not sure what else I need to replace while I am in there. Any thoughts on what the cause of a dim light could be if it's not the bulb?
The first picture is the wire insulation for the igniter, the second is a picture of my headlights at night in a dark parking lot.
https://imgur.com/gallery/FNAPg

doc280

Ready to race!
The bulb is not inserted correctly. The assembly order is bulb into headlight housing, then collar, finished up with the igniter. I know it is a pain in the rear, but removing the housing, from the car, makes it getting it right much easier and less chance of breaking a bulb.

Your first picture is showing the bulb, collar and igniter assembled and not connected to the housing. You can do it in that order and it will feel like it inserts into the housing correctly, but it is not and you will end up with light dispersed like in your second picture.

error_404

The first picture was of the removal of the old bulb. I will check the installation today, though, to ensure everything is lined up. I will check for the level check as well.

error_404

I checked both the auto level and the installation. The auto level looked good on both sides and the installation was correct. The yellow tab on the igniter, that locks the bulb when you insert the power connector, was broken off. I do not know if that could cause the light to be dim.

Edit: I might try swapping igniters later, the drivers side is such a PITA though

doc280

Ready to race!
I checked both the auto level and the installation. The auto level looked good on both sides and the installation was correct. The yellow tab on the igniter, that locks the bulb when you insert the power connector, was broken off. I do not know if that could cause the light to be dim.

Edit: I might try swapping igniters later, the drivers side is such a PITA though

As I said before it will feel correct, but it is not, your second picture shows the beam out of focus. Just being off a little will cause it not to be in focus. I still suggest removing the headlight housings and install the bulbs.

By the way the igniter is fine the light is lit, it has done it job.

I chased this problem problem down with my GTI and documented it on my thread "GTI on the Cheap".

error_404

I just installed the bulb for the 3rd time, it is properly aligned but the light is still diffused. I can post pictures to show that the square notch lines up with the square bump and that the locking ring does not disturb the alignment. Looking from the front, at an angle, the light is obviously diffused inside the assembly. I am beginning to wonder if something happened to it to knock it out of alignment/focus.