GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changed my cam follower today

mikeyriot

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like I did just in time too. I barely bumped the radiator distribution pipe and the nipple broke off in the process. Coolant EVERYWHERE. My car is at 108k, just bought it. If anyone else is installing a new cam follower at around 100k I would recommend draining your coolant and replacing this pipe too and save yourself some hassle. Still way cheaper than a new cam though. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here, I did a bunch of preventative stuff based on recommendations here.

Here's a link to that distribution pipe if it happens to anyone else.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/coolant-distribution-pipe/1k0121087h/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
Good stuff. I just wished all the old pictures worked.
I recently picked up my 2nd GTI and doin some work as well.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Good stuff. I just wished all the old pictures worked.
I recently picked up my 2nd GTI and doin some work as well.

If you want to see all the old photobucket pics just add an extension to Chrome.

Go HERE and add this Photobucket Hotlink Fix extension.

mikeyriot

Passed Driver's Ed
What do you guys recommend for cleaning coolant and oil out of the engine bay? I recently replaced the seals on my vacuum pump due to an oil leak as well so I have a big mess of gunk. It started up fine with coolant everywhere (although there was some steam) so I doubt a little simple green and water will hurt right?

SavageGTI

What do you guys recommend for cleaning coolant and oil out of the engine bay? I recently replaced the seals on my vacuum pump due to an oil leak as well so I have a big mess of gunk. It started up fine with coolant everywhere (although there was some steam) so I doubt a little simple green and water will hurt right?

I would spray an engine degreaser arround the bay and where the build up is, let it soak then spray it down with water. To dress it up get an engine dressing to make any of the plastics shine

SavageGTI

Looks like I did just in time too. I barely bumped the radiator distribution pipe and the nipple broke off in the process. Coolant EVERYWHERE. My car is at 108k, just bought it. If anyone else is installing a new cam follower at around 100k I would recommend draining your coolant and replacing this pipe too and save yourself some hassle. Still way cheaper than a new cam though. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here, I did a bunch of preventative stuff based on recommendations here.

Here's a link to that distribution pipe if it happens to anyone else.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/coolant-distribution-pipe/1k0121087h/

I should get on to replacing my follower... I thought I was the only one who broke the main coolant T lol. I snapped the nipple off when I was installing my neuspeed intake hands slipped hit the coolant line and got hot coolant all in my face, wasn't boiling, just like a hot coffee. Temp fix was plug hole with self tapper and collect coolant in bottle, can only go about 3mi though wouldn't recommend driving any further