GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ignition switch & Chinese Head Unit replacement issue

JustinD

Hi,
Some time ago I picked up a double din head unit (Chinese knock off) for my ‘06 Mk 5 and it has worked very well. It has gps and Bluetooth built in and I didn’t need to change the Canbus.

The issue I have is I have noticed that (after changing the head unit), when I turn the ignition key to off but not remove the key, the engine continues to run. I think this is due to the head unit but my mechanic says its due to the ignition switch going bad and all I need to do is part with $500 and he will install a new switch.

Could my engine running problem be due to the head unit? Or was it just a coincidence and my ignition switch is going bad?

Thanks

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Do Not see the head unit keeping your engine running until key is pulled out. You ignition is made up of the electrical switch on the left of the ignition housing and the mechanical switch for the key. The electrical part from VW is approx. $75 which I believe is your problem.

The housing runs about $150 and the keyed lock cylinder for your VIN approx. $100 if you actually need to replace those but that is only if you have issues when the key is not turning or unable to remove it.

Did you mechanic scan the car for dtc and pull anything for ignition switch electrical portion, usually you will get a few dtc for it.

Last edited:

JustinD

Hi, thanks for responding. I didn’t ask the mechanic whether he had seen any error messages in vagcom. Is it easy for me to replace the electrical part myself? I just did my front door locking modules as both were going, so I pretty fired up to do more as the mechanic was claiming $500+ for the ignition.

Could you tell me what the part is? Also, I guess I need another YouTube vid for how to change it over.

Update: I found part # 1K0 905 851B “Steering lock & Ignition Switch.
Is this the part?

Update 2: looking a bit more I found part # 1K0 905 849B

Thanks
Justin

Last edited:

JustinD

Hi again. Also, you are right in that the lock cylinder is so far working perfectly. The mechanic talked about drilling out the lock cylinder but I think that was in the chance that the key gets stuck etc.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
First thing I would do is get a scan with Vcds or equivalent and see what it shows. You could also pull fuse/s for radio( see wiring diagrams) or pull radio out and see if the issue is still there. I still think its the electrical part of ignition switch 1K0905849B (confirm part number with dealer)

Electrical portion of ignition switch housing, red arrow and housing in yellow.

Here is just one of the many DIY you can find, remember you do not need to remove the housing from column.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...ng_Your_Ignition_Switch_and_Lock_Cylinder.htm

Last edited: