GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interior LED

sullwe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI
I just installed some LEDs and have noticed that once they are supposed to go out they appear to be very dimly light. Not completely on, but like there is power running to them enough that you can make out a noticeable glow coming from them.

Anyone else see this? Or is this being caused by a lower voltage needed to power them thus causing the faint illumination?

Don't really know if this is an issue with wiring or just the way the car is set up.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
So basically to the glow you need to leak some current, you need at least one error canceling LED in the interior (Footwell lights are on their own circuit).

Power is going to be there regardless, only turning off when the car is off. If it doesn't bother you, it's not hurting anything

sullwe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Power is going to be there regardless, only turning off when the car is off. If it doesn't bother you, it's not hurting anything

Yeah it doesn't bother me when I'm driving. I did just find out that they turn off completely when I lock the car so it's not that big of a deal. Just didn't want my battery to die on me.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
You'll be fine.

If the bulbs are on when the car is running and turn off when you turn the car off. You've got nothing to worry about.

lyubo1125

Same thing here. they work fine when they light up but when they're off they still stay on at about 10% brightness. No idea why but hasn't bothered me .. they act as cabin lights just barely shining to show there are lights :D

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
So basically to the glow you need to leak some current, you need at least one error canceling LED in the interior (Footwell lights are on their own circuit).
:thumbsup:

Yeah it doesn't bother me when I'm driving. I did just find out that they turn off completely when I lock the car so it's not that big of a deal. Just didn't want my battery to die on me.
You could use the roof console switch to leave the lights on, and they still won't cause battery to die. Main reason is the interior light circuit has a time out, with the key off, and no activity (no doors / hatch opening or closing, no commands from remote, etc), the circuit will extinguish all lights after about 15 minutes.
After locking your car, if you return after the timeout and observe through a window while it is still locked, you will see the glow has stopped.

Roof map lights and dome lights, visor mirror vanity lights, glove box light, and rear compartment light share one un-monitored circuit (fuse only, no digital protection - every other light circuit on car is digitally protected instead of fuse).
Any activity immediately wakes the circuit up.

The map and dome lights are on a sub-branch of the circuit to support door "switched" operation, and that is where the stray current originates. That current is insufficient to fire off incandescent bulbs (oe), the far more efficient LED emits with the same low current leak.

X3
This is a known issue. Search for
+LED +glow while off
and you will find numerous posts with more detailed solutions.

sullwe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI
So I did get vanity lights because I figured they burned out, but now with the LEDs in them they don't turn on. Looked in the fuse guide didn't see anything on what fuse it could be. I'm guessing it is on fuse box C. Any ideas?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
So I did get vanity lights because I figured they burned out, but now with the LEDs in them they don't turn on. Looked in the fuse guide didn't see anything on what fuse it could be. I'm guessing it is on fuse box C. Any ideas?
As I noted in the post above, the visor mirror vanity lights are on the same circuit with the rest of the interior lights.
Are all your interior lights dead? If not, then it is not the fuse.

Yes, the interior light fuse is in Fuse box C, it is 7.5A fuse in slot # 15

Just in case you got LED bulbs that don't work both ways (i.e. doesn't have a rectifier built in), try plugging them in the other way around. LEDs only work in one direction so unless the circuit in the bulb is designed to not care about polarity, you need to make sure they're plugged in correctly