GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trade any smartphone for a new no contact Windows Phone (Microsoft B&M)

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Bring in any smartphone and get any Windows Phone free with trade in. If you do not wish to trade in, you can get any phone free that's in stock, but with 2 year contract.

Long version below.

http://content.microsoftstore.com/store/SmokedByWindowsPhone?WT.mc_id=Social_MSStore_TW

Phones i saw in store

Sprint: I did not see any Sprint phones in store
Verizon: HTC Trophy
AT&T: HTC Titan, Samsung Focus S, a few others
T-Mo: HTC Radar, few others

Microsoft stores (B&M) are having a contest wherein if your phone is faster than their Windows phone, then you will win a computer. The contest is pretty much rigged, all the tasks they are testing for are very easy to do, so it's pretty hard to win the contest. BUT if you lose, you will still get a new no contract Windows phone. Any phone in stock.

I went to the LA store on Santa Monica Blvd and got the Focus S, that's the one I got when I traded in the Palm Pixi which I got for $32 no contract. They said i could not get the 800 and the HTC Titan was OOS. The terms did say while supplies last, so I'd suggest you guys go early.

The test was pretty simple for me, I knew I was going to lose, i didn't even try, just opened my browser. They did check my phone to verify I had 3G connectivity, and at my store, they did not tell me to use wifi, and let me use 3G. I didn't really care because I knew I was going to lose anyway. Mine was the find 4 star restaurant one. For the windows phone, it is just one press. I only had to do one test, and I was not forced to complete the task, but technically, the rules do say that you do have to complete the task. They did make me sign some media disclaimers and hold up a sign saying that I was whoopped by a windows phone and took a picture. They made me sign a video tape disclosure, but they did not videotape me. I also had to sign some recycling disclaimer when recycling my old phone.

Other than that, that's it. I did not have to sign a contract, I did not have to activate the phone, and I did not have to get the same carrier phone. No where in the terms did it say that the phone must be activated before you leave the store. If you're Verizon, you're SOL since they only have the HTC Trophy, which, compared to the other options is crap. But you can still get another phone, and use it for travel (make sure there's an unlock available first), a windows phone version of the ipod touch, or as a gift or whatever. On the Focus S, you do not need a sim to operate and you can initialize the phone without a sim. Of course, you can't call or receive texts or data (but wifi works) w/o a sim.

I talked to the rep and he said that so far in this promo they have given out about 100 phones.

The csr did ask the manager if the palm pixi qualified, but the manager approved. Even if they didn't, i'd fight it, nowhere in the rules did it say it had to be an Android, BB, or iOS, only that it had to be a smartphone and that it could complete the task.

btw, for those interested, the Palm Pixi is $43 shipped with Prime. This is the Verizon version, even if you don't have service, you can start verizon service with this phone on the day you go, and just cancel service on the same day. you would only have to pay a few bux for prorated service(I would suspect under $5), and if you cancel within 3 days, the $35 activation fee is waived.
http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Pixi-Plus-Verizon-Screen/dp/B004IPAC10

the GSM version is $65.
http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Pixi-Plus-GSM-Screen/dp/B005BE0BNQ

I realize that the Amazon prices aren't the best, but you can get them using Prime so you should be able to get them before the promo is over.