GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wavetrac installed in GTI with DSG

alemagno

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,
I thought I share a recent experience. I decided to get a Wavetrac LSD installed since the Winter is coming and I remain hopeful to improve my autocross existence in the dreadful STX class.
I considered to install it myself but finally chickened out. Finding a shop was a bit more challenging than I expected since some shops did not respond at all. I ended up with quotes from Tyrolsport and RSW. Both were initially similar in price but when I asked Tyrolsport to do it I was told that the initial quote was a mistake and the revised quote for installation was close to 50% higher. RSW honored the initial quote ($970 labor for install) and i went with them. It was a very good experience to work with them and they seem to be far more professional than many other shops around.
I had experience with a clutch-type LSD many years back but memory started to fade. Now, doing my first tests, like a swift start from waiting at a left turn, the car just takes off with virtually no slip and I started to remember what a LSD is like. I am very curious to see how it will do in the next autocross. I guess it will take some time to convince myself to accelerate much earlier coming out of turns.
Couldn't help to take a picture when it came in:
[/URL][/IMG]

miamirice

Ready to race!
Enjoy. I find driving any FWD with greater than 150 hp and no LSD a cruel joke. The wavetrac has a great reputation.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
My wavetrac got 5 years of hard track use, no issues.

I'm curious to test drive a new GTI with Power pack, supposedly the new E-diff works minor miracles.

One thing I experienced with the LSD is the ability to cone the front tires quite badly with camber, especially the inside. I also tended to overdo it with throttle on corner exit. Rotate them often.

alemagno

Passed Driver's Ed

I'm curious to test drive a new GTI with Power pack, supposedly the new E-diff works minor miracles.

One thing I experienced with the LSD is the ability to cone the front tires quite badly with camber, especially the inside. I also tended to overdo it with throttle on corner exit. Rotate them often.

No rotation for me. I am running 255/40 at the front and 225/45 at the back. First autocross went okay. I did many mistakes but I loved the difference in traction.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Beautiful piece, LSD is on my wish list.

alemagno

Passed Driver's Ed
Uggggh I'm jealous. What other mods do you have, if it's in you sig I can't see it on tapatalk.

I have no signature. I combine the LSD with a nice re-valved H&R Clubsport with stronger springs, supersport ball joints, bigger sway bars and Dunlop Direzza's Z2. This is my autocross recipe.

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Have the Wavetrac in my DSG as well. Absolutely love it!!!

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Hi,

I'm planning to intall a Wavetrac LSD on my DSG gti.

What oil are you using on your cars?

For transmission oil, most manual trans guys go with either OEM or Motul. I'm not sure what's out there for DSG.

For engine oil, I use Motul 8100 during the oil change. I top off with whatever VW 502 oil is around, as I just use the full 5L each change.

Just go with any VW 502 oil is available around you. I have a local Motul dealer, so I end up paying only $10 more per oil change. If I had to pay a premium of over $20 over Castrol/Pennzoil/Mobil, I'd say no thanks

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg

I read about some testing on that. The electro-lock diff will perform like a mechanical, however he said the response is a little laggy. Maybe software or something fixes that? I liked the peloquin on my old mk3 VR. I would go wave track on this .:R.

alemagno

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi,

I'm planning to intall a Wavetrac LSD on my DSG gti.

What oil are you using on your cars?

I still have my GTI with Wavetrac and it still works fine. Till date I have only used the stock transmission fluid. I have tracked this car for a little more than two seasons and had no issues.