GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about revmatching

mikeyriot

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought an 06 gti about a month ago. First manual and I love it. I started practicing revmatching and I have a question. What's the difference between blipping the throttle and bringing up the rpms and holding it there as you let out the clutch? They seem to accomplish the same thing but everywhere I read says blip the throttle so just curious. Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ryanguile12

Well essentially its going to be a faster downshift if you just get used to blipping the throttle to the right rpm with one tap and timing it with when you let out the clutch. May take some time to master but i do it every single day anytime im driving and im downshifting.

I would assume that if you were to be trying to hold the rpms THEN let out the clutch it would make for a slower downshift just because i would see that trying to get it to the right rpm while modulating the throttle would be slower than being able to tap the throttle to the right rpm and timing it with your clutch.

Of course being able to rev match by blipping and getting it right every single time is definitely going to take some practice and may take a while to master but its the better way to drive imo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I bought an 06 gti about a month ago. First manual and I love it. I started practicing revmatching and I have a question. What's the difference between blipping the throttle and bringing up the rpms and holding it there as you let out the clutch? They seem to accomplish the same thing but everywhere I read says blip the throttle so just curious. Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
If you get it right you can release the clutch instantly, no need to gradual de-clutching. So a blip on the throttle and release the clutch all at once. But train before doing this because if you are not precise it will be brutal and put stress on all components.

And if you want to do really right, go to neutral release the clutch (necessary to connect the engine to the gearbox even in neutral), a blip on the throttle, clutch, go in gear, release the clutch. That way you are manually bringing the gearbox to the correct speed (in addition to the engine) and so reduce wear on its synchronizers (it's not necessary, the synchronizers are there for a reason but it will prolong the life of your gearbox, you will notice that moving the shifter into that gear will be much smoother)

PapaBonk

That ^^^ is actually the proper way. Rev with clutch engaged to match gear speed. Prolongs both gearbox and more importantly clutch life as clutch engagement is smoother when flywheel and plates rotate at same speed.....

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk