GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions about lights

earthtoandy

Touring Car Champion
So tonight i was looking at the car from the outside since I so rarely get to and I noticed that the inner tailights and inner headlights do not seem to light up for any reason. are these just dummy lights or what?

GTI2007

I know for sure that the inner taillights are the reverse light and the fog light. So if you don't put in reverse or put on the fog light you indeed don't see those inner taillights burn. About the front I'm sure there's a bulb in those inner front lights but I have no idea how they would work. Maybe take a look into you owner's manual of your GTI.

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
I didnt go for the Xenon - mainly a city driver so didnt see the need and there have been a number of complaints about em here - blinding other drivers.

GTI2007

According to Snoopy that problem with the xenon headlights in the UK GTI is mostly because the xenon headlights are set too high from factory. That's just a simple correction at the dealers and with Xenon headlights you have 300% of the light of halogen headlights and with only 50% of the same power needed so it saves on fuel

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
Yeah but as I said, I drive round the city and local laws only call for dipped lights in the city so these and my fog spots look and do the biz :thumbup:

GTI2007

I would go for the xenons and change the original 4300 K bulbs for 6000 K bulbs. I'm a bigger fan of the white blueish look of the xenons then the ugly yellowish look of the regular halogen

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
GTI2007 said:
I would go for the xenons and change the original 4300 K bulbs for 6000 K bulbs. I'm a bigger fan of the white blueish look of the xenons then the ugly yellowish look of the regular halogen

Well when you put it like that...maybe :drinking:

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Shovels said:
I didnt go for the Xenon - mainly a city driver so didnt see the need and there have been a number of complaints about em here - blinding other drivers.

As you know, the complaints are not due to the light output itself, but the fact that other drivers tend to stare at them due to the different color.

Once the xenon are more common, the staring will go away and the complaints will stop.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
earthtoandy said:
So tonight i was looking at the car from the outside since I so rarely get to and I noticed that the inner tailights and inner headlights do not seem to light up for any reason. are these just dummy lights or what?

The inner headlight is "flash to pass" only on the xenon version. Works only when you pull back on the stalk. The inner headlight is the highbeam on the regular version.

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
Shovels said:

yea i have Xenon lights on my GTI and every time i take mine out at night i get people flashing their high beams bcuz they think i have mine on.... then i just flash mine and blind them

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
NorthGTI said:
The inner headlight is "flash to pass" only on the xenon version. Works only when you pull back on the stalk. The inner headlight is the highbeam on the regular version.

Flash to pass? That is, a quick flash on the highbeams? Or something else?

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
As you know, the complaints are not due to the light output itself, but the fact that other drivers tend to stare at them due to the different color.

Once the xenon are more common, the staring will go away and the complaints will stop.

So how do you equate this to the increased visibility of the Xenon lights - brighter equals dazzling oncoming drivers surely on every bump you hit.