GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Introductions thread (Part 2)

Rmgcook

Hello!

Hello everyone, not quite a newbie - signed up years ago but not been here for some time! Wife's car is a Mk5 1.4 TSI which we've owned for years.... we're having quite a few issues so thought I would come here for some advice. Any idea how I can place a post in the tech / engine forum as it says I'm not allowed?

Thanks
Robin

73bus

Car(s)
08 GTI
Playing catch up

New to this forum, but not VW. This is my 3rd VW. I've got a 8 year gap in my knowledge from my 00 1.8T to my MKV. I love VW and hope to catch up on my knowledge about my new toy.

Enduring Kaze

New to the page. I've got a wannabe GTI. Basically, my car is stock aside from the exhaust. Here's a hero shot.

I've got a few questions, but I figured it'd be polite to introduce myself.

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone!
I'm posting here as an introduction, -my first post.

We might purchase a 2006 GTI DSG 2-door (tomorrow) for our 16-year old Son. I created an account to thank you guys in advance for this site, and for this forum.

I have been surfing this site for only 2 days, to learn about the MkV GTI. VW Newb? -who me? Yes.

After we purchase this 2006 GTI (or a similar VW) I will definitely post again.

Cheers!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hello everyone!
I'm posting here as an introduction, -my first post.

We might purchase a 2006 GTI DSG 2-door (tomorrow) for our 16-year old Son. I created an account to thank you guys in advance for this site, and for this forum.

I have been surfing this site for only 2 days, to learn about the MkV GTI. VW Newb? -who me? Yes.

After we purchase this 2006 GTI (or a similar VW) I will definitely post again.

Cheers!

First, welcome to the forum. This model VW is now almost 14 model years old so there is not a lot of new activity on here but there is a wealth of historical data here and still a few loyal owners still here.

Because I am a Dad and though it was a long time ago, faced buying a car for each of my first time driver kids (1 boy and 1 girl). I would strongly recommend that you NOT buy a VW GTI for your 16 yr old. Its performance is just too much for an inexperienced driver. I would recommend that you look at something like a Golf or Golf TDI, much cheaper to operate and much better economy and its performance is much safer for first time driver.

Every year in my town I watch folks get their kids cars that are too fast for first time drivers and they end up wrapping them around light poles and trees and some die. The GTI is just too fast for a first time driver under almost all circumstances. The cars get going very fast very quickly and an inexperienced driver can easily get into trouble.

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
First, welcome to the forum...

...The GTI is just too fast for a first time driver under almost all circumstances. The cars get going very fast very quickly and an inexperienced driver can easily get into trouble.

Thanks for your time and words of caution. I wanted to post back and let you know that your words of wisdom did not fall onto deaf ears. The planned meeting (for today) with the GTI owner fell apart, and is now planned for Monday evening. I previously met the GTI owner (2 days ago) and did a brief test drive. The car is 100% stock.

The "sales lead" for this GTI was initiated by my ex-wife. I plan to meet with her tonight and again on Sunday. During these meetings with her, I will echo your comments and cautions.

Two years ago, my daughter REALLY wanted a Prius, so that was easy. My Son is not laser focused on this car type (GTI - hot hatch) so I still have time and some ability to shift the pending sale.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thanks for your time and words of caution. I wanted to post back and let you know that your words of wisdom did not fall onto deaf ears. The planned meeting (for today) with the GTI owner fell apart, and is now planned for Monday evening. I previously met the GTI owner (2 days ago) and did a brief test drive. The car is 100% stock.

The "sales lead" for this GTI was initiated by my ex-wife. I plan to meet with her tonight and again on Sunday. During these meetings with her, I will echo your comments and cautions.

Two years ago, my daughter REALLY wanted a Prius, so that was easy. My Son is not laser focused on this car type (GTI - hot hatch) so I still have time and some ability to shift the pending sale.

Good luck on your hunt for a car and tell your son I am sorry if I did anything to put a dent in his dream for a hot car. It is a great car and there are other variants of the same car just without so much power.... plain VW Golf (non-turbo) or the Turbo Diesel version or even the electric version of the Golf.

Marde

Passed Driver's Ed
Good luck on your hunt for a car...

Bad news? We bought the 2006 GTI a few hours ago (8 hours ago).

BTW, I saw & read your build thread. Congrats on your re-build completion. The car pictures that you posted a few days ago are beautiful. The power and performance of your new MkV GTI will take a few weeks OR a few months to sink-in and better appreciate.

I have a new-to-me 2006 GTI (100% stock) car if you would like to repeat that build process one more time? <<evil grin + evil thoughts about my Son's GTI + is not his car until we say so>>.

I will post comments and questions about this new 2006 GTI in a new thread in a few days. Thank you for the warm welcome into this forum.

Cheers

Lesleyman

Car(s)
09 mkv gti dsg
Its not over yet!

Hello everybody, i'm Lesley, from the mountain kingdom, Lesotho. I am an absolute noob who spends so much time on the internet reading on forums and learning!
i'm pushing '09 tornadoRed mkv gti with roughly 57k miles on it! It was pretty fresh up until some old dude ran in to it hitting a u-turn as I was passing, on my 7th day of ownership:mad: So it now gives me all sorts of problems that im surely gonna solve through you guys! thanks in advance for your skills. :smile::smile: