GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight Auto-Leveling Diagnosing Help, Plz.

YBRmuggsLP21

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay, I would like to start by saying I did do a search, but (I don't think) found everything I need.

So, for the past month or so, I've been in a battle with a couple different engine codes, and it finally seems like everything is solved on that end. After getting my car back from the shop I go to this last time, it appears my auto-level isn't working at all. No leveling takes place on either light when I start the car, and the beams are basically sitting way too low now, (I'm aware I can manually level them).

Now, I will contact the shop when they open in a couple days to see if they were digging around with a VAG-COM when they were working on the error codes, (they're all stand up guys and I trust they'd be honest if there's even the slightest possibility they may have messed something up), but until then I'd like to be able to do some basic diagnosing on my own.

Basically, what are all my options here? I did already check the sensor arms, or whatever, and they are connected and facing the correct direction. Outside of VAG-COM stuff, what else could it be? Being that neither are working at all, I'm assuming it isn't the motor that moves them? Could one of the sensors themselves going out cause this or would they generally just run wonky? Any help with this would be appreciated!

Thanks

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Trying to fix this with vcds first is by far your best option. It could just need to be adjusted. If not, you'd have to replace the sensors themselves which is expensive. Try this first.

With VCDS Open:
Make sure you're on a level surface.
Click Select Controller
Go to 55 - Xenon Range
Go to Basic Settings - 04
Then in the drop down list, select the adaptation/adjustment option (its the only one in the drop down).
Then click the ON/OFF/NEXT button.

The headlights should automatically raise to level position.
Close controller and you're done.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Check fuse SC1 10amp left side of dash, provides power to the HID level control module.

YBRmuggsLP21

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll look at that; thank you.

Additional question: If I manually adjust the headlights until I'm able to properly diagnose, what would happen if the auto-leveling did kick in? Does it compensate for the current position of the headlights, or are my headlights suddenly going to be point really high?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
For now you can manually adjust the headlights but when the leveling system kicks in the aim will be off.

The leveling system does not correct for a poorly aimed headlights.

Headlight Adjustment

[Select]
[55 - Xenon Range]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 001
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
The meas. block field now shows "Wait" and should switch to "Adjust Headlights" then (this may take up to 10 seconds).
Adjust the headlights using their manual adjusting screws as referenced against a suitable aiming target.

[ON/OFF/Next]
The adjustment should now be learned.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

YBRmuggsLP21

Passed Driver's Ed
So if the system kicks in, my headlights will be shining in everyone's face?... I better keep an allen in the car for adjusting them.

And thank you for the help, but I'm assuming what you're talking about requires the use of vcds/vag-com? That's not currently something I possess...

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I would look at that fuse for now and then take it to shop that did your work and ask them to scan for any codes.

If you need to manually adjust them now I would keep track of how many turns you used. Then if it starts to work again you can turn back to were they where.

Macdven

Single HID auto levelling issue

Trying to fix this with vcds first is by far your best option. It could just need to be adjusted. If not, you'd have to replace the sensors themselves which is expensive. Try this first.

With VCDS Open:
Make sure you're on a level surface.
Click Select Controller
Go to 55 - Xenon Range
Go to Basic Settings - 04
Then in the drop down list, select the adaptation/adjustment option (its the only one in the drop down).
Then click the ON/OFF/NEXT button.

The headlights should automatically raise to level position.
Close controller and you're done.

Hi - hoping someone can shed some light (haha) on the issue I’m experiencing with my GTI Pirelli. The LHS HID globe stopped working recently, and after diagnosing igniter, globes, etc I found the prob to be the ballast. Bought one from the wrecker and when I put it in, I noticed that both globes worked ... but the auto levelling didn’t work anymore.

Tried a few things (disconnected battery, ignition on/off, disconnected plugs to cluster etc) and for some reason the RHS now auto levels but the left doesn’t.

I’m aware that there’s a range control module separate to the ballasts but was wondering if this could be the culprit. BTW - the auto levelling sensors under car are both fine. FYI - the auto levelling worked fine before I started doing anything.

I’ve pulled the light cluster out of the car and checked wiring - all looks good. I’m wondering if during my earlier diagnosis which involved swapping ballasts, igniters etc and turing lights on/off a number of times with light sitting on front of car has jammed the auto levelling somehow??

Would love some help. Never expected a faulty light to be so involved.

Sebas_theFish

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 R32
Which direction should the rear sensor be facing? Currently mine is > towards the drivers side (right hand drive)?