GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Misfire troubleshooting

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
So the car has been having it, but since I drive like an elderly person, I rarely cared. But the engine will misfire in the higher RPM range, when the engine load is greater. Runs like a dream otherwise. How can I log with my shiny new vagcom cable to see what I would need? I would assume:

Fuel delivered
Fuel requested
Vacuum

And so on. Does VCDS save the log as it goes? Never tried yet but want to dig into this before dropping ~150$ for something I may not need.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
All I could grab from it was "multiple misfire". Will have to get a hard check during lunch. but the codes never stuck long enough to be pulled. Laptop has no battery, so I am buying an ac/dc converter so I can run it whilst I drive.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
So you must have seen a P0300 code. Post up an Auto Scan when you get a chance. Done anything to the car lately besides the AC?

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Negative. I was thinking it may be related to all of the leaks the car had before I got the hoses changed out, like perhaps one of the coils/spark plugs is just ate up. But I wanted to verify a bit before I start dumping more money. Already have a wheel hub or two needing to go, so I am trying to save where I can.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
All I could grab from it was "multiple misfire".

P0300 is the code for Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected your GTI can only show p0300 through p0304 for misfire codes. So when you get a chance do an Auto Scan save it then clear the dtc and go for a drive and see if / what comes back.

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Will do! Will it be stored if the CEL does not stay on? I have only seen it flash so far.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Yes it should, Vcds has the ability to see codes before the factory tool see them according to info from RossTech

easy87

l1kez b00st
Car(s)
GTi
Not sure about the factory tool, but Ross-Tech will definitely see codes before the CEL is illuminated.

-Mike

Schwing! Pray tell, is there a way to pull a visualized graph of outputs, or does it only ouput in like an excel file?

Nevermind! Found it. Will try and get a log going tonight!

Last edited: