GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Urgent - Door Skin Removal DIY

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Bullshit. Your audio shop has obviously never been inside the door of a MKV. There is no way you can do anything but get a small piece behind the woofer without removing the outside sheet metal. even going through the speaker hole there are the window supports to deal with.

Edit: ...and the audio shop says they can unroll it and get almost the same finish from the inside of the door.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone here know if Stinger Roadkill is worth the extra 20% in price as apparently it's a bit thicker, but not sure you'd hear a difference??

Look forward to doing my door skins soon!

plac

GTI Master
I am screwed on my outer door panel removal so far because i have a 4 door. I do not have that big silver sticker on mine which gives access to the secret door handle screw. I heard that the 2 doors have the big sticker covering the opening. I only have 2-3 normal torx bolts and no stickers. Even my Bentley doesnt give me enough info. Anyone know the specific bolt you touch to unclip the *4 door* front door handle?

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
I am screwed on my outer door panel removal so far because i have a 4 door. I do not have that big silver sticker on mine which gives access to the secret door handle screw. I heard that the 2 doors have the big sticker covering the opening. I only have 2-3 normal torx bolts and no stickers. Even my Bentley doesnt give me enough info. Anyone know the specific bolt you touch to unclip the *4 door* front door handle?

This should help out.

Door Handle and Housing – Removing and Installing
http://www.my-gti.com/1138/door-handle-and-housing-removing-and-installing

plac

GTI Master

plac

GTI Master
thanks, ill take a closer look at my own car, but thats the same writeup i find everywhere.

i realized i was trippin.. the silver sticker is behind the snap in panel which i didnt remove yet...

if my deadener arrives today then i will be doing all 4 outer door panels today.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Can't see the pic here at work. I used nut-serts on the metal door frame to mount the adapter ring to the door. They are plenty strong. I also some weather stripping to seal the ring to the door. I have an install thread on here with a lot more pics...I think you've seen it.

Did you use those metal clips to hold your woofer adapter? Are they strong enough to get really tight?

plac

GTI Master
I'm getting real deep into my door install soon, so i been reading way too many threads on it. My Hertz dont come for another 10 days probably, i'm going to go insane.

plac

GTI Master
damn! My door handle wont come out like this pic. I already have the lock out. Gonna keep trying..

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
Has anyone had trouble with door skin alignment after reinstalling it? I noticed that after taking it off and reinstalling it, the door gap is much closer in the front and much wider in the back. Has anyone experienced this yet?

plac

GTI Master
Has anyone had trouble with door skin alignment after reinstalling it? I noticed that after taking it off and reinstalling it, the door gap is much closer in the front and much wider in the back. Has anyone experienced this yet?

that is impossible unless your mounting brackets are loose or moving. That is a deeper part of the install which we dont touch. They glue/cement on the mounting brackets using spacers to get it even. But once that is locked in, it never comes off unless yours is loose. You do have a tiny bit of movement in the door skin screws themselves, but not much at all..