GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AC not working

sumofish

Passed Driver's Ed
My AC seems to be blowing hot air.

I check both fans are working, I can hear a humming noise coming from the engine when the AC is on and it goes away when I turn it off. Also there seems to be a small squeaking noise when the AC is on.

Is the AC compressor not working anymore?

iKhmaiFoSho

My AC seems to be blowing hot air.

I check both fans are working, I can hear a humming noise coming from the engine when the AC is on and it goes away when I turn it off. Also there seems to be a small squeaking noise when the AC is on.

Is the AC compressor not working anymore?

I've had this issue so I plugged in a vag com to monitor the refrigerant pressure and state of the a/c. I notice I was high on a/c refrigerant and the a/c was turning off and on, so I "safely" purged out some refrigerant to keep it below the threshold and bingo. I believe this is a safety feature so we don't over pressure the a/c compressor and damage it, pretty cool. Try this first.

If all checks out and you are below the refrigerant then maybe it can be the compressor.

sumofish

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had this issue so I plugged in a vag com to monitor the refrigerant pressure and state of the a/c. I notice I was high on a/c refrigerant and the a/c was turning off and on, so I "safely" purged out some refrigerant to keep it below the threshold and bingo. I believe this is a safety feature so we don't over pressure the a/c compressor and damage it, pretty cool. Try this first.

If all checks out and you are below the refrigerant then maybe it can be the compressor.

How do I "safely" purge out some of the refrigerant?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
How do I "safely" purge out some of the refrigerant?

You don't, go to a shop, get the system evacuated and refilled with the correct amount of refrigerant. That would be step one, step two would be to replace the actuator on the A/C compressor that is prone to failure.