GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Nice!! Should be sweet at the track and I suspect much more modulation than the R setup. At least I hope so..... I am hoping for that with my new setup as well.o

What pad are you going to run ?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Nice!! Should be sweet at the track and I suspect much more modulation than the R setup. At least I hope so..... I am hoping for that with my new setup as well.o

What pad are you going to run ?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the MUCH smaller rotor (328 ST vs 345 R) but overall I'm hoping for better braking performamce. Going to be hard to beat the R brakes imho. As for pads I'm running Carbotech XP12 front and XP10 or XP9 rears. Going to give them a shot since they came with the ST brakes, I'm usually a HAWK Guy through and through, have had nothing but great experiences with HAWK products.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Full 4 corner brake fluid flush done. Curious to see if I can actually notice a difference coming from Motul RBF660 to the Castrol SRF.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the MUCH smaller rotor (328 ST vs 345 R) but overall I'm hoping for better braking performamce. Going to be hard to beat the R brakes imho. As for pads I'm running Carbotech XP12 front and XP10 or XP9 rears. Going to give them a shot since they came with the ST brakes, I'm usually a HAWK Guy through and through, have had nothing but great experiences with HAWK products.

It really isn't hard to beat R brakes when going to a proper multi-piston setup with 2-price rotors. R brakes really aren't much of an upgrade.

Edit: should clarify, I mean for track usage. Great for moderate street/ light track/autox type driving. I'm assuming you're selling them? Might be interested if you are.

Last edited:

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
They do sure look a whole lot better though (main reason I'd be after a set at the moment) :bellyroll:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
It really isn't hard to beat R brakes when going to a proper multi-piston setup with 2-price rotors. R brakes really aren't much of an upgrade.

Edit: should clarify, I mean for track usage. Great for moderate street/ light track/autox type driving. I'm assuming you're selling them? Might be interested if you are.

Personally, I liked the R brakes, thought they were fantastic at the track. Never did I have a over heating, fade, warped rotor, etc issue with them and I'm hard on brakes. I've had stock, R, 17z, boxter and now the Stoptechs so I have a decent ammount of experience to compare them to.

Answer to edit: I traded my whole front R setup for these. My setup is practically new and the stoptechs were beat to hell and needed a full rebuild so I think the trade was fair, sorry brother.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Warped rotors are a myth, 99% of the time they're actually pad deposits. You honestly likely wouldn't have had issues running the stock sized brakes either. The weight difference and still being a single piston makes R brakes a marginal upgrade at best. Glad you were happy with them though.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
FINALLY finished up the side splitters. Next step is track test and see if they work as I designed em. If all is well I have a few minor tweaks to add to the final product. Using the HDPE as a template for the Alumilite that will be the final product. May add turnbuckles just for added reinforcement depending on how testing goes..

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well now don't I feel stupid as hell..... did the full brake fluid flush (had the entire system empty) swapped the BBK on and full bleed with fresh Castrol SRF.......... Just noticed the Golf R master I was going to install when I did the BBK sitting on my work bench. How the hell I forgot to swap the master is beyond me, but now I'm down a $65 bottle of brake fluid. Smooth move exlax.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
If you have the whole system empty, make sure you bleed the ABS pump also. You need a scan tool to do that.

Also, SRF is over rated imo.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
If you have the whole system empty, make sure you bleed the ABS pump also. You need a scan tool to do that.

Also, SRF is over rated imo.

Yeah I have a HEX can and vagcom, not hard but certainly a pita as far as an extra step goes. I had no issues with RBF660 but a bunch of my track buddies swear by SRF.