GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Last post before i order everything.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Did you have to do anything special to install the MK6 B8's on the MKV or were they just a direct replacement, etc.

Direct replacement. MK6 struts,shocks and brakes are all interchangeable.

I see you changed your post to 19in wheels. Probably a bad choice for shitty roads. Tires are a huge part of your suspension. 19in tires with a short sidewall like that will ride rougher even on stock suspension when it comes to poor roads. Even I wouldn't go with 35 series tires where I live. If anything I would go to 17in wheels with 45 series tires for the best ride.

Hrimnir

Passed Driver's Ed
Direct replacement. MK6 struts,shocks and brakes are all interchangeable.

I see you changed your post to 19in wheels. Probably a bad choice for shitty roads. Tires are a huge part of your suspension. 19in tires with a short sidewall like that will ride rougher even on stock suspension when it comes to poor roads. Even I wouldn't go with 35 series tires where I live. If anything I would go to 17in wheels with 45 series tires for the best ride.

I know I *should* go with 18's, but the 19's are so purdy...

I'm sure ill prob get the 18's when push comes to shove, I just *really* wanted to be consistent with the Golf R since that's what they will ultimately end up on.

At the end of the day there's nothing wrong with running 18's on the MK7 Golf R... if nothing it will improve the ride like you said.

Last edited:

Hrimnir

Passed Driver's Ed
Welp, so I ended up ordering the Koni STr.T kit, ECS Tuning had some sort of clearance sale so I got the parts for a good bit under $500 shipped, couldn't ignore basically what amounted to a $275 savings over the yellows once you factor in the mail in rebate. However, my mechanic apparently hired some new guy who misquoted me the install on the price (I thought $330 sounded too good). Basically he only quoted the fronts, not the rears, despite me asking specifically and confirming. So that little snafu is ging to end up costing me about $200 more on the install which makes me even happier I just went the Oranges instead of the yellows.

Never the less. I'm getting it all put in on Friday. I'll get some pics after it's had a week to settle and will post some initial impressions and what not.

Now the suck part is I am gonna have to wait a month or two longer to order the wheels/tires... grumble.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Welp, so I ended up ordering the Koni STr.T kit, ECS Tuning had some sort of clearance sale so I got the parts for a good bit under $500 shipped, couldn't ignore basically what amounted to a $275 savings over the yellows once you factor in the mail in rebate. However, my mechanic apparently hired some new guy who misquoted me the install on the price (I thought $330 sounded too good). Basically he only quoted the fronts, not the rears, despite me asking specifically and confirming. So that little snafu is ging to end up costing me about $200 more on the install which makes me even happier I just went the Oranges instead of the yellows.

Never the less. I'm getting it all put in on Friday. I'll get some pics after it's had a week to settle and will post some initial impressions and what not.

Now the suck part is I am gonna have to wait a month or two longer to order the wheels/tires... grumble.

I guess you may not have many install choices where you live but 530 to install is too high (my opinion should be 350 for all).

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I guess you may not have many install choices where you live but 530 to install is too high (my opinion should be 350 for all).

Agreed, my buddy and I charge $350 for coilover installs on the MKV/6 platform. We charge more for MK7 due to the huge pita the rears are.

You could install your own rears and save the cash. Takes literally 20-30min to do the rears.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Rear is cake walk. The fronts arent too bad. Make sure you buy all new hardware and new strut mounts

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Hrimnir

Passed Driver's Ed
So my days of wrenching are over, plus I don't really have any of the stuff I'd feel comfortable doing it without (proper floor jacks/stands, etc). Got out of all that when I got out of the Jeep/4wheeling thing. Also I just don't want to screw with it.

I am going to make a few more phone calls, I generally trust this mechanic and have been going to them for almost 15 years (even with my previous B5 S4) and literally every time I've called around they were the cheapest. However, just doing the math in my head that seems off for labor. 1hr per wheel on front and .5 rear seems reasonable, which at a shop rate of $125/hr which is pretty standard these days, that comes out to $375 + shop fees, and such.

So, mid 500's seems a little excessive now that you guys point it out.