GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sway bar endlink broke off from tab (twice)

realslimnatey

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone else have this happen? This is the 2nd time. 1st time it was the driver's side front and they were the stock endlinks. I drove for months with that endlink removed until I decided to buy new coilover sleeves and replace both endlinks with shortened ones. Just today the passenger's side front coilover tab broke off.

Suspension: B&G RS2 Coilovers
Endlinks: Steinjager (actually bought them from a forum member)

high_octane3541

Go Kart Champion
Did you adjust the endlinks properly? I'd guess that you had preload on the link and it put too much stress on the tab....or b&g can't do a decent weld (I had a tab break off when I was on stock links on b&g coils)

dmfracer

Ready to race!
How low is your car because in that picture the control arm looks way past parallel? Are you stanced, bro?

Anyway, on my car you can see the Bilstein sway bar tab is gusseted and heavily reinforced. And still people have had them fail and come off - and Bilstein is about the highest quality strut you can get.

Which B&G coil are you running - the RS1 or RS2? Just looking at the pictures of either strut, those sway bar tabs are not even reinforced so it shouldn't be a surprise that they have failed, especially when you compare to the Bilstein tab.

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Car(s)
GLI
Thin link bracket and less welding contact are not strong as Bilstein, Koni, or Sachs dampers, etc, so more chance to break.

realslimnatey

Passed Driver's Ed
After further review, the Bilstein ones are much more reinforced than the B&G welds. I have a haunting suspicion that it's just weak welds on the tabs. I called B&G the day after and they said they would "take care of me". Not sure what that means yet as I have yet to receive a response but I'll keep you guys posted.

mash360

Passed Driver's Ed
Is it okay to drive with the swaybar not connected like that? I'm looking to put in slam struts and I need to wait for the dorbritz designs brackets so I wanna gonna disconnect it until then...

Also there must be some sore of preload on there if the welds on the bracket were weak cause I have cheap $350 coils maxed out and the bracket seems to hold up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmfracer

Ready to race!
You can run with the sway bar disconnected, just take the end links off so it doesn't jam up the front suspension or get bent.

Is it okay to drive with the swaybar not connected like that? I'm looking to put in slam struts and I need to wait for the dorbritz designs brackets so I wanna gonna disconnect it until then...

Also there must be some sore of preload on there if the welds on the bracket were weak cause I have cheap $350 coils maxed out and the bracket seems to hold up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
It may just be the pic but your endlink looks like it has some curve to it (
No, I was thinking the same thing looking at the picture just now. Definitely looks bent.

realslimnatey

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah it's now bent from dragging on the road when I was trying to make it the rest of the way home.

B&G told me they sell their own endlinks and they would take care of it. I just needed to send an email with pictures and measurements of the current endlinks. Their mailbox has been full and won't receive any more until they clear it out.

I currently only have that one endlink removed. I need to take the other side out because there is so much clunking when I drive now. It's super annoying.