GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

do I need the alignment shim to replace an axle shaft?

GolfGuy

Hi everyone,

I am new to your folks forum, so nice to meet you here. I registered to read and learn from what was posted before, but decided to take a chance and ask a question. First of all, I've got a 2008 Golf. I recently noticed that my CV joint boot was damaged badly, and that there is sand and dirt already. I understand that I will have to replace the axle assembly, which is fine with me, as I know that the new boot and grease won't fix the damaged CV joint. So I already got the new axle in, but I heared that I need to get an alignment shim assembly to get the job done properly. So I wanted to ask you folks, as you know these VWs pretty well, do I really need the shim? Or I may just do the swap and it will be fine?

Thank you!

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Car(s)
GLI
You may need alignment. I replaced both side last Saturday and notice steering wheel pulled bit right side.

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Well, I guess I will grab alignment shims, as they are cheap and even if I won't need them it's fine. So will order a set and hope they will be delivered by weekend to do the job some time on Saturday...

You dont need shims for the alignment either. Your car doesnt have an old school solid axle drivetrain